HybridZ

rb20de Neo - Yes there is such a thing apparently

I've got an rb20de Neo on the way and it appears to be a front sump, from what I have read, the rear sump pan has long been discontinued. I understand there are some aftermarket options available, So since I have no idea whats really going on, could someone enlighten me on the rear sump conversion for this little oddball engine.

Do i have to drill out the block like i've seen for some of the rb26 conversions or is it a simple swap for oil pump pick-ups and get a rear sump pan?

Also I haven't been able to find anyone with an S30 with a rb20de, especially the Neo, I was just wonder how you liked it compared to a relatively stock L series?

Thanks for the help

Pat is still making pans here.

Assuming the RB20DE block is the same its pretty simple so long as you dont have an AWD setup(I wouldnt know if thats even an option on the RB20).

Yes, the RB20DE actually came after the RB20DET. Also the 20 did come in an AWD application in the R-32 GTS4.

It is a rwd, got it with a 5-speed, that 71c trans like the Ka's have. So he makes the rear sump pan, iv'e seen his name pop up a few times, was considering having him whip me up one. Does he make the extended pickup tube for the rb20 as well?

Another thing i was wondering, does the dipstick need to be moved and how if that's the case?

The  dip stick should get moved yes. There is a plug you have to remove and put where the current dip stick goes. The hard part is carefully removing the dip stick so it doesnt get damaged which requires the right size punch.

Ray

Whoa....what's this I hear about moving the dip stick?  Mine is in the stock location.....and it doesn't actually read oil levels for some reason....maybe that's why?

Care to fill me in on this dipstick moving?

Not much to it; if you look closely, there's a blank installed. Knock the blank out and after you've coaxed the dip stick out of its original place, install it where the blank was. Take the blank and knock it into the original dip stick hole and done.

Yeah. This is something I regret not doing before I installed my RB. Now I have to do it in the car. Oh yay.......

Little known engine like that RB20DE NEO is the RB26DE RWD. Yes, it exists. I've seen one. Autech made it I believe. The one I saw was done by Autech anyway.

Edited by R3VO 3VOM

• 1 month later...

Well if anyone even cares still, here are a few pics on my progress. Pat is currently making a new oil pan, I'm saving up for a Freddy intake and will start construction on some headers for an N/A setup. I have a subaru 4.44 diff installed and a full disc brake conversion upgrade installed, just sorting out little problems here and there. The rb20de Neo was in amazing shape, intake ports clean, plugs clean, and every bolt was miraculously easy to remove... no swearing or praying needed for once, the 1998 R34 must have been very well taken care of.

DSC 0159

DSC 0217

DSC 0228

DSC 0251

DSC 0142

Would anyone have a link or some specs for this motor, maybe piston to deck clearance, piston dish/dome volume, stock head gasket dimensions.

From what i have read, the stock combustion chamber is supposedly 50cc, same as any other rb20de.

The stock head gasket was 80mm bore and 1.2mm thick

con rods are the exact same as any other rb20de

Is this all true?

I'm just hunting for some more info to accurately calculate compression, trying to do a high comp N/A rb20de
Edited by datsunranger

Compression on the RB20DE neo was 9.5:1 I believe, same as normal DE; the DET's were 8.5:1.

The stock bore is 78mm. Stock headgasket is around. 04" which is about 1.016mm. Ive seen the headgaskets though youre talking about; theyre aftermarket usually mls stuff right?

As for the rods they should be the same in length and such, but being a neo they may be stronger material? That I am unsure of.

Well if anyone even cares still, here are a few pics on my progress. Pat is currently making a new oil pan, I'm saving up for a Freddy intake and will start construction on some headers for an N/A setup. I have a subaru 4.44 diff installed and a full disc brake conversion upgrade installed, just sorting out little problems here and there. The rb20de Neo was in amazing shape, intake ports clean, plugs clean, and every bolt was miraculously easy to remove... no swearing or praying needed for once, the 1998 R34 must have been very well taken care of.

Would anyone have a link or some specs for this motor, maybe piston to deck clearance, piston dish/dome volume, stock head gasket dimensions.

From what i have read, the stock combustion chamber is supposedly 50cc, same as any other rb20de.

The stock head gasket was 80mm bore and 1.2mm thick

con rods are the exact same as any other rb20de

Is this all true?

I'm just hunting for some more info to accurately calculate compression, trying to do a high comp N/A rb20de

Does anyone make a Greddy knock-off that fits the RB20 NEO? I mean the greddy fits the RB25det and the RB25det NEO, but nothing else I have seen. It wont fit the RB26dett, RB25DE, or RB20DET... Better make sure one will fit your NEO 20 before hand.

Other than that looks good.

BTW, Venus has an RB20DE NEO on the shelf for sale right now... 

Also have a look around you will find headers on ebay that will work. The RB20DE has the same bolt pattern as the RB20DET/RB25DET/RB25DE on the exhaust side. So Finding headers is only a matter of making sure they will fit a LHD steering column... and so far Ive seen a few that work.

P1050178.JPG

Dig around and one will pop up

Edited by rayaapp2

No knockoffs for the 20 as far as I know, besides the stick welded ones on ebay from Thailand that I've seen blow the welds on boost above 18lbs. Usually knockoffs are for the 25 and 26. Only "really good" (in terms of flow and quality) one for the 20 in the aftermarket is the RIPS one, but those run a cool 1k+.