HybridZ

Crank polished - doesn't look like it

PapaSmurf

I just got my crank back from the machinist - this is the first time I've used this guy and I only did because no one else in the area was able to polish such a long crank. I need you guys to look at these pics and tell me if he did it wrong. I think he just threw it in the wash I can see lines on all the journals...

post-1143-0-38751800-1369437615_thumb.jpg

post-1143-0-75683600-1369437625_thumb.jpg

post-1143-0-11781200-1369437634_thumb.jpg

post-1143-0-15544400-1369437643_thumb.jpg

post-1143-0-31723800-1369437651_thumb.jpg

The larger wear line on the back that rides the rear main seal doesn't really bother me I can understand why he wouldn't polish that down. The lines on the rod and main journals do bother me. What do you guys think? Is this going to cause problems? I can't feel these lines but I can see them...

A lot of shops will just polish them if you asked for a polish; they won't cut them. Not every shop has the equipment to grind the crank, but they may be able to polish the crank.

My local guy doesn't cut cranks, but he can polish them with his equipment. Have to send the crank about 100 miles east to get to the closest shop that does custom crankshaft work.

Keep an eye on that groove on the rear flywheel flange. If you can catch your fingernail on it, order a speedy-sleeve and install it before you put the crank in. Otherwise, you will have an oil drip from your rear main seal. Same goes for the snout of the crank where the front seal rides.... and the output flange on the tranny. And.... if you break down a tranny, the input shaft. And.... the input flange for the diff if you break that down too.

If they aren't leaking then don't worry about it.

Edited by josh817

Wow I just learned something I had no idea that (speedi sleeve) existed I already got the crank I guess I'm going to find out if it leaks without it. Next time I guess. I'm waiting on my ARP  rod bolts and then this things gonna go back together as fast as possible im moving in 2 weeks and I don't know what I'm gonna do about my garage and shop I need a magic geenie 

Edited by PapaSmurf

I believe RockAuto has them. I know I used one of theirs for my transmission output flange. We have a bearing/sprocket/gear place here locally where we can walk in with our part, they will measure it and have a custom sleeve made. It's about twice as much ($40 instead of $20) but you can get it don't for anything you need.

Your machine shop doesn't have to do it, you can do it yourself if you have a hammer and a drift, or something of the same circular size like a coffee can. Tap it on. Worst case you could pop the speedi sleeve in the oven and put it on to a room temp crank with ease.

The groove may not leak, but if the crank isn't in the motor yet, it can still be fixed. Good luck,