HybridZ

Clutch cylinder questions to those who have done VG30ET into 240Z

OZZ240

Hi guys,

I'm nearing the end of my VG30ET engine and gbox conversion and was wondering what others have done with there conversions when they did there clutch master & slave cylinders.

Currently I'm using the 240Z clutch master cylinder and using the 300ZX Z31 clutch slave cylinder it appears I may not be getting enough travel via the 240Z clutch master cylinder and not sure if adjusting the clutch peddle will make a difference to the slave cylinder travel.

If the 300ZX Z31 clutch master cylinder was used does it bolt straight up to where the standard 240Z clutch master cylinder or what did you have to do to make it fit

Cheers

Ian

I have the 280Z master going to a 280ZX front brake hose (IIRC) to the Z31 slave. I haven't had any travel issues, as far as I know.

Thanks,

I checked the clutch master cylinders between the 240Z and the 300ZX and they both have 5/8" bores but don't know if there is a different in the stroke/ travel of the clutch master cylinder.

Going by what you have said the std 240Z clutch master cylinder should do the job as the same clutch master cylinder was used in all S30 model Z cars that I've found out so far.

Will give the clutch another bleed and check that the clutch peddle is adjusted correctly and that there is little or no backlash/free play on the clutch slave cylinder. Fingers crossed I can get it sorted

What is bench bleed the master? as there are no bleed nipples on the actual clutch master cylinder.

This is what I did to bleed the clutch hydraulic system

I filled the clutch reservior up and opened the bleed nipple on the clutch slave cylinder and let it self bleed then closed the slave nipple and did the normal peddle down open nipple close nipple, pedddle up etc etc and then I took the slave cylinder off the bell housing and held the bleed nipple above the point where the clutch line goes into the slave and tried to bleed it somemore with the nipple at the higest point.

Because the bleed nipple is on the bottom of the slave cylinder it may take a lot more mucking around to get it bleed correctly. 

I've borrowed a vacumme hand pump for bleeding hydraulic systems it pulls the fluid thru the slave rather than push it thru so will see if that makes any difference.

Update

Got the clutch sorted out.....found that the clutch master cylinder was not adjusted correctly to the FSM once that was adjusted to the book I found that I had a clutch .

I then bleed the clutch system again just to make sure it was as good as it could be.

Then measured now much travel a 1971 240Z clutch master cylinder and a 1986 300ZX slave cylinder mixture gives a grand total of 15mm of travel at the slave cylinder.

Fingers crossed I will be driving the 240Z by end of the weekend as my mates coming around to finish off programming the Haltech Platinum Sport 1000 Saturday morning

• 4 months later...

Second update.

Clutch worked using the above stock parts but still felt that I was not getting enough travel so decided to make a new push rod for the slave cylinder.

Made a new push rod 4mm longer than the stock 1986 300ZX Z31 NA slave and all is working well.

Not sure it was needed but feel better for doing it.

When mixing and matching like that there are different bore size slave cylinders available, if you are not getting enough clutch travel then go one bore size smaller. I've done this using the measurements provided by some sellers on Ebay. I'm assuming that your slave cylinder type is the same.