HybridZ

280Z no signal to the coil...

Hi gents,

I've been dealing with this issue for a few weeks now and I need your help. I just picked up my 1978 280Z last month and one day I came out to it and it wouldn't start. Ignition worked, starter turned over, but no spark. I am getting power to the coil, but no signal. What I've done so far is replace the fusible links with a maxi fuse block (all four fuses functioning properly). I've traced the lack of signal to the computer (transistor ignition module) which I've replaced, but still no signal. 

Is there a sensor I'm overlooking that indicates when the coil needs to fire? Crank position sensor maybe? What about ignition relays-what testing can I do to rule these out?

Thanks for the help!

The Engine Electrical chapter of the FSM has a section on how the ignition system works.  1978 doesn't have a crank position sensor.

I just found the factory service manual and I'm excited to work through the ignition chapter. Everything is explained in great detail and they tell you how to test each component. Hopefully I'll find out what's going on!

• 4 months later...

I just found the factory service manual and I'm excited to work through the ignition chapter. Everything is explained in great detail and they tell you how to test each component. Hopefully I'll find out what's going on!

Just a follow up for anyone who's found this in the search bar, it turns out the pickup coil was bad. Did a continuity test per the factory service manual (see the quoted link) and ordered a new one of Rock Auto. She started right up! Next season I'll be replacing the coil and plug wires/plugs (maybe the cap and rotor?) since it runs rough in humid conditions.