HybridZ

280zx window trim

69sroadster

• 2 weeks later...

Any tips for removing the window trim pieces on a 280zx without destroying them?  I'm overdue for a real paint job and need to address some minor leaks and small rust areas around the edges of the windows.

Which trim, the big plastic/stainless (depending on year) piece on the B pillar, or the chrome trim around the windows?

The trim that's on the pillars is screwed into the b pillar under the weatherstrip I think and it all just sort of comes off once you unscrew the things. The trim on the door under the window is a pain in the a$$ to get off without damaging. so I left it on. 

That's good to know about the pillar trim.  It's a ZX.  I want to take it all off, but to be honest I think the rear hatch may be okay.  The windshield area is where I'm starting to see small rust areas near the trim edges.  I suspect the rear side window seal/trim is allowing water to leak down the inside of the rear fender area near the body seam.  There are two half dollar sized holes starting there that I am planning on cutting out and rewelding new sheet metal on.  Then I plan on covering that area up with some nice side skirts after cleaning up the cancer spots.

I already cured a large portion of water intrusion into the rear hatch area from the old tail lens seal leaking.  That has led to some rust in the spare wheel well on the right rear but not too bad.  I still think that some minor water leaks around the rear hatch seal on the left bottom corner.  It's hard to tell and isn't consistent at least.