HybridZ

Josh's 280Z VG30DE 5-speed swap!

Yes, I'm doing it. Why? I have an entire Z32, low on cash, and between my dad and me, we can fabricate most any custom part. Plus, I feel can actually make it work as a halfway decently performing car.

Anyways... I am documenting the entire build process, and will be posting up condensed information on the swap here on Hybrid Z, as well as ClassicZCars.com and Northwestnissans.com.

It is my hope that the work I am doing now will increase the popularity of the build, as I believe it is a very strong platform to build off of. At the very least, I hope that another person that may be contemplating the swap can find the information I will be providing to be helpful. I will gladly provide detailed information upon request!

So... The L28E that came with my car is in pretty poor shape, sort of. Never been machined before, which is good, but the measurements are all over the damn place. I don't have the money to do that (Please don't point out the cost of the swap, I already know... haha). Basically, I have an entire 1990 300ZX just sitting here, and I would really like to use it. I'm a professionally trained auto-tech, I can use a wire-feed fairly well, and since my dad is basically a master machinist, fabrication isn't going to be a huge issue either. I'm planning on picking up an OBX LSD and clean it up, custom aluminum driveshaft, probably a custom shifter assembly, etc...

If anyone feels that they have helpful information on this, feel free to reply!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 

So, It's going to get the Z32 5-speed, 80-83 R200 3.900:1 final drive, and 195/60 R15 tires. Also, I'll fit an Autometer electric speedo and tach, and other gauges.

Need to figure out how to compensate for the shifter on the Z32 5-speed being an extra 5.5 inches farther back, and of a different design, as well...

The car will have about 235-240 hp, weigh about 3100lbs (200lbs lighter than my 2+2 z32 was), and I chose that tire size/diff gear set because I'm looking to get as close to the Z32's final drive as possible. The tires should give the final drive gear reduction enough of a boost to allow for a little better acceleration than the N/A 300zx, but also be geared high enough to keep the fuel economy close to what the L28E L-Jetronic FI has.

The thing won't be a race car, but it won't be horrible either. Plus, I will be able to swap a VG30DETT directly into the car later on. I'm also keeping the L28 mounts in the car, to be able to swap the original motor back into the car.

I'm going for functionality at the moment, not looks. I'm going to try out 195/65 R15, which is very close to the stock tire diameter (I happen to have a set on-hand), but I don't have much hope that it'll accelerate as fast as I would like. Besides, it won't look as goofy as the 195/50's on there now.

Edited by pureZero

Apparently, I forgot to specify that it's a 78 280Z. Also, I also forgot to mention that my 300ZX was wrecked back in 2011.

Now, the reason it's so sensible is because I have most of the parts it needs to run, and drive. All I will have to make are a new shift lever, new motor and transmission mounts, and then have a drive shaft made with the Z32 slip yoke and 280Z rear flange. It will also cost me less money to just get it running than with the L28, since the car had a lot of expensive parts missing. I will also try to retain the original mounting points, to enable me to swap the original motor back into it very quickly. My VG30DE / 5-speed combo are still solid, and will need very little work to get running.

I was actually responding to 78zstyle.  He should tell why his ideas are so sensible, as opposed to silly.  Justify his comment with some examples of what makes sense.

Your Z will have a bigger, more modern engine with a more modern EMS.  Seems reasonably sensible, although it could be expensive by the time you're done.  In the big picture though, the only reason to spend any money at all on a 35 year old car is because you think you'll enjoy it.  Being sensible has little to do with it.  Good luck with the project.

Apparently, I forgot to specify that it's a 78 280Z. Also, I also forgot to mention that my 300ZX was wrecked back in 2011.

Now, the reason it's so sensible is because I have most of the parts it needs to run, and drive. All I will have to make are a new shift lever, new motor and transmission mounts, and then have a drive shaft made with the Z32 slip yoke and 280Z rear flange. It will also cost me less money to just get it running than with the L28, since the car had a lot of expensive parts missing. I will also try to retain the original mounting points, to enable me to swap the original motor back into it very quickly. My VG30DE / 5-speed combo are still solid, and will need very little work to get running.

I promise you it will cost you more than getting a L28 running again.

As far as the exhaust... I will be whipping up a set of 2.25" custom headers using the mating surface off an extra stock set. After that will be 2.25" straight-pipe with twin glass packs. The step down from 2.5" to 2.25" exhaust should actually give the motor a little bit of a performance, since it will keep the exhaust gasses a hotter than the larger size, making it flow faster.

• 4 weeks later...

Just took about half of the sound deadening material out of the floor boards and tunnel... I'm finding that it isn't much easier to use dry ice than the heat gun I have. Either way, it isn't an enviable chore...

There's a bit of cancer on the driver side floor pan, and I managed to see some daylight coming through the passenger rocker panel. Passenger floor pan seems to be fine though, just a little dented.