HybridZ

Spark at coil. No spark at spark Plugs

Hey how's it going?

Ive been trying to turbo my 77 280z for a while now and Im getting close to finishing. I put in a MS, MSD 6al  and a blaster 2 coil. Im kind of a noob when it comes to wiring so Im not surprised if I screwed up somewhere.

It tries to turn over but sadly nothing so I checked the spark. There is spark to the coil (I did the screw driver in the coil plug test by touching the white wire on the MSD 6al to a ground) but not to the plugs (I held a spark plug wire to a ground and no spark). I dont own a volt meter but I can get one from a buddy, I was just seeing if there may be some quick advice or some small thing that I could have jacked up.

I know this is a pretty vague post but Im not sure what else Im supposed to put in. I will answer any questions to the best of my ability but again Im kinda noob when it comes to wiring. Thanks for any help or advice

When you say "spark TO the coil" do you mean on the primary side (small wires), or do you mean spark OUT of the coil on the secondary (large wire)?

If you mean spark out of the coil on the secondary wire going to the distributor then you probably have a bad distributor rotor. It's cracked inside and the spark is going to ground on the distributor shaft. Cheap aftermarket rotors are famous for this. Factory rotors do this very seldom.

There is spark to the coil (I did the screw driver in the coil plug test by touching the white wire on the MSD 6al to a ground) but not to the plugs (I held a spark plug wire to a ground and no spark).

I dont own a volt meter

You might mean spark from the coil.  If so, follow the path. Through the wire from the coil to the distributor cap, down across the contact to the rotor, through the rotor and across the gap to the spark plug wire electrode, etc.

There's no screwdriver mentioned here, but it looks like the test you're talking about.  Might help - http://www.msdignition.com/page.aspx?id=3206

Buy a multimeter.

Edit - Just watched the MSD video.  I guess there is a screwdriver.  Still, follow the electrons.

Edit 2 - I'm not sure that MSD's test for magnetic pickup is right.  The reluctor generates the voltage so that test shouldn't work unless the MSD is so sensitive that it triggers from ground loops or static.  It might be the test for an optical trigger.  Good luck.

Edited by NewZed

Skirkland: From your first comment. yes it is turning haha I wondered the same thing.

newzed: I just did what the video suggested and that's how I came to the conclusion that there was spark from the coil. But when i checked checked farther down the line (at the spark plugs themselves) There was 0 noticeable spark.

I havn't gotten a new rotor yet due to being broke. Just starting a new job and havnt recieved my first paycheck yet, but it will be one of the first things on the checklist