HybridZ

Parking brake locked?

I just bought a '72 Z, had it towed to my house (loss of electrical power), and the back wheels won't spin at all - can't even push the car to a new location.

The previous owner let the Z sit for about a year. I believe the parking brake was on the whole time.

Is it possible the parking brake either rusted in place or is just stuck? Once I get the engine started, could I just use the engine power to move the car gently to another spot just a few feet away (for more convenient access) or would I risk damage to the axle? A friend suggested just removing the wheels and attacking the parking brake with a hammer to free it from rusting (if that's the case)

I've never worked on brakes before, and am looking for a simple solution before having to tow it to a shop again.

Is there another possibility why the back wheels won't turn?

Drawings of the brake system are in the FSM - http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/

Could be rust in the actuating mechanism or rust in the drums.  You can see the parking brake lever and end of the brake cable if you stick your head under the car.  Have someone move the brake lever and see what moves.  If you have to take a wheel off and beat on things, be careful with the brake drum.  They break.

There's also an adjusting wheel inside that you can turn to loosen up the shoes.  Might help if the drums are rusty.  It shouldn't hurt anything if you use the engine to try and break the shoes free if you don't get crazy with the clutch. 

There is no simple solution.

If you are not familiar with brake repair take the car to a brake shop. Better safe then sorry.

Put the car on jack stands, pull the all of the wheels and drums and determine why the wheels are locked before using a hammer. I suspect that the wheel cylnders (which slide in slots in the backing plates) are rusted and can't slide when the parking brake is released.

You will need a a FSM or Haynes manual to understand how to move the adjuster to loosen the brake shoes in order to remove the drums.

Refresh the old brake system: As with any 40 year old car, you should anticipate inspecting and repairing the front/rear  brakes as a matter of routine if you want to someday drive the car. While you are at it,  replace the master cylinder, all of the rubber flex lines with SS flex lines  and replace the booster. 

Note on removing stuck drums: the drums may be stuck to the hub (common) such that you can not get them off  to inspect the brakes - a subject that has been covered many times and can be found by searching here and at Classic Z cars.

Get a Haynes manual for a 240Z in addition to the factory service manual and study the brake sections.

Become a member at Classic Z Cars as they deal more with stock Z maintenance and repair issues.