HybridZ

Hmmm Confused

D83ZXT

I would like some of your expertise in helping me to understand somethings.

I'm currently installing Tec into my 83ZXT. At this point, I am almost done removing items. I'm not understanding the use of the flame resistor from the valve cover to the turbo boot between the airflow meter. Also the vacuum line leading from boot into the charcoal canister. I would like to deal away with this boot. What's the purpose of these? Also, what's up with the line running from under throttle body into charcoal canister. Can these lines be eliminated when using a aftermarket EMS? If so, then will my vent fuel line still be okay :rolleyes::( ? Another question... Will my PVC be affected too?

Thanks smile.gif

Donna

Donna - if you were not in California, I'd say you can easily get rid of the PCV (vent the valve cover) and easily lose the boot, as you no longer need an AFM with the TEC. Fuel vapor cannister too. But that is all required emissions equipment. I don't think I could get away with removing it in Colorado either, if my car was '82 or newer. The older cars don't get inspected for that stuff anymore, so I've rid myself of EGR and other stuff. I still run a PCV as there is some benefit to pulling a vacuum in the crankcase (don't know if it offsets the disadvantage of oil vapors in the intake though...), and I've not yet figured out how to run the fuel tank vent without the cannister. I do want to burn the fuel vapors.

My ZXT only needs to be smog if I was to sell her.(Small town country law) Smog once and that's it. Until they decide to change it in the future at some point. I'm not worried at this time

That's what I'm trying to understand.. The crankcase,cam cover and PVC. :(

If I remove the canister....what can I do about the fuel vapor line???

Donna

donna -you need to look at my car.the vac lines from the evap canister can have pipe plugs installed in intake manifold.the line from tank at cannister just needs a loop in it and be left open to vent tank.i can come over and fix lines if you want.cant make it to rio vista this weekend-have to work.

Donna

I removed the hose running from valve cover to AFM hose. Plugged hose. Installed a K&N little breather filter on Valve cover. You could also install another breather filter on side of crankcase line running to PVC if youy want to (I didn't yet). Randy can cure your other questions better than I.

2thumbs.gif

Take Care

Len

Thanks Guys I appreciated your input smile.gif

What's this Randy? Your not going Rio Vista??? Can't you call in sick? Hey I'll call in for ya!

Let me know when's a good time for you to swing on by. This weekend would be tough tho :(

Thanks Again smile.gif

Donna

I'm not an expert by any stretch but I am installing a TEC on an 83 turbo Z motor. Here's what I found The hose coming off of the j pipe is for a type of IAC valve. It is the disc shapped valve with the electric connector on it and when no signal is placed on it acts like a huge vaccuum leak! It is used for air to bypass the throttle valve to stabilize idle and is controlled by he stock ECM. You have to disconnect and plug both sides, the j pipe and the manifold. I just got my hands on an N42 manifold and used it instead. Now I will use the port on the jpipe for a BOV. I'm also thinking about plumbing a GM IAC into my manifold. TimZ is using one and said it really helped his idle. Maybe we can trade maps when we get them running? Is your engine stock otherwise?

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Rags!

Yippee! Hehehe... I am not the only one running the TEC in a ZX.

Question for ya. Have you done your tachometer yet? My FSM I believe is not right. Unless I'm getting crossed eyed! lol Instrument harness shows pin 322 Yellow for tach. But it will also show another 322 W/R for brake light on a different connecting plug for the back of the combination unit. When you follow the harness to the main harness (Green) grrrrrrrrrr... It shows up with the W/R as 322 :(

What gives?

I would like to use my stock tach.

Me stock? Whats stock to you ;)

Oh what Joy it is to play with our ZTOYS!

Donna

If you take your emission equipment off, don't be too quick to throw it in the garbage. At least keep it somewhere where you can find it again in the future.

It's only a matter of time before all states start to emission..

Just a suggestion, though...

Rags, did you ever own a DSM? I knew/know another "Rags" on a DSM site...