HybridZ

Upgraded options for turbo and manifold in S30 chassis

UG-S30

I've been debating if I should switch out the stock turbo and manifold for a external waste gated setup. But, don't know what fits in there. The S30 engine bay looks sooo cramped, if anyone has done this before, please share your insight and experience which works best.

As you are not buying a turbo kit and just interested in a manifold you may be okay. But give this a look:

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/113832-do-not-buy-from-cxracing/

Technically it still is an Ebay place in my mind because they started on Ebay and I would bet got popular because Hot Rod magazine used their stuff on a junkyard engine build (may have seen it in the bookstore. 4.8 Vortec engine pulled from a junkyard. CX racing stuff and it made like 1100hp or something. They're turbos are iffy at best. Avoid "unbranded" turbos; stick to trusted names for those).

I still think you may run into the problem of the welds cracking; seen it on a lot of "unbranded" manifolds (manifolds that aren't from companies like HKS, Full-Race, 6Boost ect.). That being said I've seen some never crack. Seems to be the luck of the draw. It's nothing that can't be rewelded if it does crack, it's just annoying to have to do it.

If you do decide to go with the CX racing one, check down the runners before installing it. I had a good buddy install one and it had like stalactites in it from where they welded it and one broke off and basically ruined his turbo. So just use caution.

But you can use your stock one and weld a wastegate flange on it. I know they do it to L28ET manifolds all the time and I have a few buddies who have done it to their RB ones. Because unless your going for mega power, the stock manifold actually doesn't flow all that bad. And you can fit quite sizable turbos down there (will need a spacer in between the manifold and the turbo so the compressor housings will clear the manifold though. But that's the easy and cheap part).