HybridZ

Need help with RLCA's

I have a 72' 240z, and I have the rear suspension out of the car so that I can re-do everything. I got one of the spindle pins out with a huge amount of time, and pentrating lube and an air hammer. I also used the tool that everyone recommends on here that somebody makes and sells on here. I started on the second one and the tool broke the threaded end off of the spindle pin. So, I tried the other threaded side of the spindle pin and the same thing happened. So I soaked the spindle in pentetrating lube at least a dozen times a day for a little over a week to help get it free. I used heat, and a hammer as a tuning fork almost to help the lube get into the little air pockets and set the suspension up in the press I have at work. After an hour of fussing around with the press and getting frustrated, I gave up. I made no progress on the pin, rather just mushroomed the little bit that was left of the pin from where it was broken. Before anyone asks the obvious question of did you pull out the little retaining pins, yes I did. The stub axle is out and the drum ass'y is off the hub to make it a little easier to move around. I'm pretty fed up with this rear suspension at this point, and was wondering if anybody had any other advice for me to try or does anybody have stuff for sale that isn't outrageously priced?

Thank you

Time get another LCA at a junk yard.

Cut the spindle with a hacksaw on each side of the upright. This will allow you to get the control arm off. You should be able to press the shaft from the upright at this point. Take it to a local shop if you do not have a hydraulic press.

There are no datsuns in junk yards around here......

I work at a VW dealership. I talked about using the press in the original post. Ten tons of pressure did squat to make the pin move. I like the idea of cutting it from in between the upright and the arm. Thank you sir.

Edited by dnatoli

Cutting the pin, slipping out the strut housing and hammering the remaining pieces seems to be the fall back of choice. You should be able to hit it from the inside to push the mushroomed portion out, use a brass punch to keep it from mushrooming again. 

Alternatively you can weld a tube preferably square to the bolt to give you some leverage to crack the frozen rust. Good luck man, and just as a reference a 10 ton press isn't all that high. Most shops have 20 ton presses, most 4x4 parts installers definitely have them.

Cutting the pin, slipping out the strut housing and hammering the remaining pieces seems to be the fall back of choice. You should be able to hit it from the inside to push the mushroomed portion out, use a brass punch to keep it from mushrooming again. 

Alternatively you can weld a tube preferably square to the bolt to give you some leverage to crack the frozen rust. Good luck man, and just as a reference a 10 ton press isn't all that high. Most shops have 20 ton presses, most 4x4 parts installers definitely have them.

Its 25 ton press, but I didnt go past ten because it just seemed really very sketchy to go more than that with how I had the assembly set up.