HybridZ

L28 /w efi & Multiple Throttle Bodies

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey, just looking at options for working an L28, originally I was going to work the head, mildly work the cam, put on SUs, extractors, etc.. a sort of oldschool NA update.. which I could probably get to around 160kw @ the engine for a decent amount of money.. Now I'm looking at going with an EFI system and multiple throttle bodies, or even just EFI.. Was wondering if anybody has gone this route, and what they would and wouldn't recommend, it'd help tonnes! Thanks!

Cheers

Will - Arch - www.zerounited.com

I think EFI is an awesome deal, but I'd modify an intake for a single large throttle body. Then you don't have two throttle positions sensors and the associated wiring headaches. It's possible to cut the end off the intake and weld on a machined plate for any style/size throttle body you'd care to use. The Mustang uses a single blade throttle body I believe, and they are all over the place in several different sizes. My guess is a stock one somebody pulled from their 5.0 would be perfect and cheap. Might as well modify for Mustang/Camaro style injectors and fuel rails as well while you are at it.

Guest Anonymous

interesting.. thanks for that

might look into the single throttle bodies idea!

cause yeah, if I go efi i'd either go with the Autronic SMC or a wolf or hawk system.. dunno if you have em overseas, but they're decent units.

the Autronic would be looking at around $2500 for the computer, wiring it up and tuning it.. so that's already getting pretty expensive.. dunno

hehe

cheers tho

any other thoughts on getting power out of an L28?

Guest VertexZ

Hey Will

EFI will probably get you more power in the long run, especially with an autoronic.

head job

flat top pistons

mild cam

injectors - quite a few people here have used Merc 450SEL injectors which are (i think) 500cc

240sx t/b also seems popular, its 60mm over the stock 50mm, except i dont know where you'd get one...

plus extractors, exhaust, pod type air filter should have you pumping out a few kw. stock 280zx is around the 105kw mark, the head job, flat tops and cam should get you round the 130-140 mark, plus all the other bits.

Have you looked at a 3.1L stroker? that would probably cost a bit relative to how much kW gain though...

Hows the project plan looking at the moment?

Jeremy

Guest Zpeed

Will bro, if you dont have the cash for the moment, just get the engine built, and just get SU's, they are crayz

just changed mine over as you know, and I'm easily going sideways when i quickshift into second

Guest Anonymous

lac of money is just a pain, hehe

atm I'm actually looking at buying an entire 280zx manual, and just swapping all the parts over.. having an auto is pissing me off.. and there's a fair bit of stuff I could nab from a parts car!

Jeremy, what do you think of your car with the L28 injected? you've only got the factory computer year?

Cheers

Will

Guest VertexZ

the 280zx box is definately the way to go - kicks arse over the 260z box - lower ratio means faster acceleration and also its stronger.

Im running a totally stock 280zx setup. I cant really compare it to carbs having never used them, but it goes pretty well. Obviously its a little more complicated than a carb setup, buts still it goes pretty hard. You should get better cold starting, less warming up in the morning and better fuel economy, and more power over the stock carbs. Problems tend to be more expensive to fix though. eg. my air regulator isnt working properly at the moment (works like an auto choke on efi) $210 from Nissan...im going to get a few more from wreckers (usually only about $2 each) and hopefully one of them will be good...

yeah im running stock ecu.

280zx parts car would be a good way to go...you would want the motor, gearbox and the diff (a 3.70 ratio, i think stock 260Z auto is the 3.364).

The change is gearing of the box and diff alone would give you heaps better acceleration.

Shouldnt cost much for a parts car anyway given that the bodies tend to go well before the mechanicals. You should be able to get one for about $1500 - good value of you can get a good motor, diff & box out of it...

All depends if your parents dont mind you having a parts car lying around smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

You guys scare me some times. Do you think that you would need 2 throttle position sensors for a 2 throtlle body intake? What about the Z32, VG30DETT?2 Throttle bodies and only 1 sensor. Now that brings me to talk about my turbo 1972 240z,2 throtlle bodies and only 1 sensor, thank you.

pics of my cars, except for the two green ones---> http://www24.brinkster.com/jgino35

• 3 weeks later...
Guest sball

Hi, I build 250 gto's in the land of OZ, and the SU carbs are mediocre, the 280zx fuel injection manifold is poor, the best set up is 6 throttle bodies with about 230hp and 35% increase in torque. Here that costs about $5000 and requires no engineering tests on the chassis to be registered, but the best place to put your money is a supercharged lexus V8 600hp, very light v8 or 2.5 twin turbo lexus motor 280 hp.

recently I drew up the basic plans to install full jag suspension with a 6lt V12 the power to weight would have been awesome, but the car was going to cost $90,000 and the engine would have been unservicable with absolutely NO room in the engine bay. Happy motoring.

Both bmw e30 m3 4 cyl and e36 m3 6 cyl has multible throttlebodies would be good on a rb30. Mustang throttlebodies is only 58-60 mm. A 78- opel 3.0e inline 6 or bmw 3.5i uses a 65-? mm throttlebody. Some of the newer models uses a 2 barrel throttlebody with a very small primary and big secondary to keep low end performance.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 78 280z i've upgraded cam, intake (Cold air intake), along w/ the MSA big bore throttle body. also headers and exhaust, bosch wires and plugs. from that i easily kick the back end out. and i still have lots more upgrades to go :-). i'll give a tip. the secret to getn performace from your car is tunning the airflow meter.

have fun

If money is tight, you can build your own fuel injection computer for a fraction of the cost of those other setups and also eliminate the air flow meter so you can just run a large pipe right to your throttle body!

There are plans and parts lists on this web page link below. You can also order the whole parts setup if you are willing to wait untill the next order date. eek2.gif

This fuel injection computer can be used with any number of cylinders, any size engine, and works with n/a or turbo engines. It is fully programable with most any PC. The current parts bundle price is $120.

http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html