HybridZ

71 240z w/ l28e w/ SU carbs...RUNNING! Ignition coil going bad?

ok first im sorry if i posted this in the wrong section ... im new to forums ... 
ive searched for a while on what it could be but im having no luck... 

the caricon1.png ran fine before i parked it like 2 weeks ago... i had it in my garage doing a clutch replacement... never turned the motor counter clockwise or nothing like that 
did that and the oil pan gasket... 

the only thing i did to the motor besides the gasket was change the plug wires, spark plugs, and remove the intake (orange air box) from the carbs... one of the tubes on the intake(orange air box) that the hose from the carb to the intake(orange air box) was bent shut so i put a new one on ... 

now my car will not start... it turns over but wont start.... i get small backfired out of the exhaust... a couple from my carbs aswell ... 

i have checked for spark wich i have... put fuel in the carbs...
i put the motor a tdc and it pointed to the number one plug... 
i know my firing order is correct 153624 and they are plugged in to the right cylinders... 123456 front being number 1 
my plugs are gapped at .040

im at a loss ... 
any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!! 

i havent put my intake box back on ... could that be part of the problem? 
im new to the z scene and new to carbs... 
ive been in subarus and nothing else ....
please someone shed some light on this issue...

THANKS IN ADVANCE :hs: 

Edited by Mr.Green the Great

Did you check for spark on each new plug wire?

Then make sure your carbs have fuel, if you have an electric fuel pump, turn on key, then open the plug on the float bowls to check for fuel flow. Your engine sounds timed so there is no issue there

The orange air box is meant to be removed to allow for adjustments to the carbs...so they should run without them, if not, then adjust them to rule out any other issues.

Edited by daddydonuts

Did you check for spark on each new plug wire?

Then make sure your carbs have fuel, if you have an electric fuel pump, turn on key, then open the plug on the float bowls to check for fuel flow. Your engine sounds timed so there is no issue there

The orange air box is meant to be removed to allow for adjustments to the carbs...so they should run without them, if not, then adjust them to rule out any other issues.

thanks for the reply...i checked my first plug for spark i figured one meant all... i will check them all now... and ill see about adjust the carbs as well 

I would check whatever was changed. Plugs, wires...ect. Look at the cap and rotor too, like daddydonuts said, check for spark on all plugs. I would think the carburetors are fine unless you changed something. My carburetors go dry after a couple of days so I have to pour a little gas in to get it started. Good luck.

well my battery needs a charge from trying to start it.. got drained...

my ignition coil is getting really hot... like burn yourself if you touch it hot... and the little thing under it is cracked in half (looks ceramic has 2 prongs).... could this contribute to the problem?

Your coil is hot because of the multiple start ups... Lots of power going through it during starts. The ceramic thing is a ballast resistor...replace if its cracked.

NO. That is for the piston in the carb...put oil in it...I use marvel mystery oil...just read the FSM for the correct weight. Get the gas out of there COMPLETELY though.

smh... ok my buddy told me to put it in there smh... 

ill get it as clean as possible and put the proper oil in it ... hope i didnt ruin my carbs  :icon50:

You really need to sit down and read the FSM.

The FSM will be your best source for Z-specific issues. Stop working on the car immediately, download the FSM and start reading. Otherwise this is all a huge waste of time.

You really need to sit down and read the FSM.

The FSM will be your best source for Z-specific issues. Stop working on the car immediately, download the FSM and start reading. Otherwise this is all a huge waste of time.

where can i get the download for the fsm... im also not sure which manual to get ... im not sure wat year the motor came out of... i just know its l28e with su carbs and a 5 speed manual