HybridZ

71 240z w/ l28e w/ SU carbs...RUNNING! Ignition coil going bad?

THANKS TO DADDYDONUTS!!!!

I got her running and back on the road...

appaerantly the guy whom i purchased the z off had the shaft for the dizzy installed 180 and he had it running like that when i bought it lol...

got it all back to normal and got to adjust everything in there to spec.... now shes running like a top... just sounds like she need a lil more gas on idle...

thanks you guys for your thoughts and input.... i really appreciate it!!!

this forum kicks A$$!

good day :icon46:

Glad you got her started!

I think the manual has a section on addressing loss of power with things to check.

I have the same setup as you L28e with SU carbs. When my car was stumbling the problems I found were a bad throttle linkage which was binding when I stepped on the throttle, insufficient fuel (my electric pump had a roll over safety that would cut in cutting fuel), timing I believe you are supposed to set it to the spec of the distributor you are using. 

Speaking of, which distributor are you using? Are you using the E12-80 ignition module?

Re: SU carbs

Go to Z Therapy and buy the video "Just SUs". It will explain the function and maintenance of SU carbs.  You should also buy a Haynes 240Z manual which is available at parts stores,  Amazon and etc.

http://www.ztherapy.com/

Buy "How to Restore Your Datsun Z Car" by Wick Humble".  It has detailed information about Z cars that the FSM and Haynes manuals don't have.

Thanks for the info guys. I got a FSM finally and that the reason i was able to start it. 

Im not too sure which dizzy im using. Ill look it up and try to figure it out. 

Wick Humble book has been ordered, very excited to get it. 

Now its time to post my car. 

Thank you guys for all the info and I really appreciate the literature your sharing with me. 

This is by far the best z forum with the quickest and most informed replies!  :icon47: