HybridZ

Quick question re: MS3X and full sequential spark/fuel

Chris83zxt

• 6 months later...

So opening an old post on Sequential...

I have a crank trigger wheel but everything I have been reading seems to be pointing me to having a cam sensor of some type.  I have a friend that gave me an old VR dizzy.  

Will this be a problem to make it the cam sensor?  

I know I will have to lock out the vacuum adjustment to make sure that the dizzy does not try and advance or retard the ignition.

It will only work as the cam sensor if it has one trigger. I would assume it has six to fire each plug, which would give no reference in cam phase. I am not familiar enough with the VR distributer, but maybe you could alter the triggers inside to give you one trigger.

Edited by winstonusmc

I like what this guy did for his BMW, the entire build is pretty interesting to read.

http://77e21.info/mscampossensor.htm

As for the VR distributor route, I had considered that too. If you ground off 5 of the nubs, it would work. As for which one to keep, there's a specific angle you want to shoot for that I can't think off the top of my head (it's in the MS3 docs). The distributor isn't ideal for various reasons like shaft play, possibility of breaking the pin, etc, but it should work.

I like the link Metro put up. I was considering doing the same thing but wasn't sure how I was going to trigger the hall sensor. The tab would work well! I would prefer to do something off of the dizzy shaft just because it would be out of sight , but the hall sensors are small enough it wouldn't matter.

I went this route for my crank sensor, but haven't got my MS up and running yet.

Thanks for the input guys...

Talked to DIYAutoTune.  They were telling me that the VR would not work (too many triggers).  Fortunately I have a buddy with a few of the 83/83 optical Dizzys laying around and have him shipping one as well as the oil pump / dizzy shaft...  Seems he takes them out and puts the 82 VR Dizzy in instead, go figure...