HybridZ

putting a 280zx turbo in a 280z?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i'm curious about the modifications i'd have to make in order to put a 280zx turbo engine into my 280z. any good info or links would be greatly appreciated. thanks - Travis

• 2 months later...
Guest Anonymous

the best,cheapest,easiest way....is buy an 82-83 turbocar (w/a trashed body),pull the motor,wiring harness,ecu and put 'em in your zcar....its still a pretty big deal....i think....s

Travis,

I'll probably catch alot of flak for this, but, I've been talking to a Z owner that has done multiple 280ZXT swaps into 280Z's...

He, and others, claim that you don't actually need to swap in the harness and ECU, but that you can run a modified turbo AFM and swap out the distributor shafts and you can use the 77 harness and ECU (that means no swapping).

He runs 11.7's with the stock 77 ECU...

I'm going to try it this way...

You will have quite a bit of tuning to get the stock Z ECU to run the turbo motor. It is used to spraying some pretty weak injectors, so you will have to swap in some turbo injectors (or bigger), then somehow get the ECU to back off on the duty cycle so you don't foul your plugs when you are not WOT. You will run PIG RICH until you get that under control.

IMHO, swapping in the turbo ECU and harness is not that big of a deal, and the result is a smooth-running factory turbo system that is ready for upgrades. A better platform.

OK, there's two things that have to be done to get the 77 ECU to work with a turbo engine

1) The turbo distributor shaft is different than your non turbo distributor shaft. You'll have to swap that out. (No big deal, though, honestly)

2) SleeperZ is correct. The 77 ECU won't be able to control the turbo injectors, so, what you have to do is take the turbo AFM and install a few components from your non turbo's AFM. I have actually found one that already has had this modification done to it and it should be arriving either today or tomorrow. When you install the larger turbo AFM, you are basically recalibrating the system for use with turbo injectors.

The only advantage the turbo ECU has over the non turbo is that the turbo ECU can control timing, the non turbo ECU won't. However, to me, it's not that big of a deal, since I'll eventually be running a MSD with a boost timing retard anyway...and I won't have to hassle with the harness and ECU...

Now, I've got the harness and ECU sitting here, so if it doesn't work I'm not that concerned because I can always throw it in, but that would mean I have to go buy more books and spend more time working on a car...