HybridZ

L6 performance potential

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have an '82 turbo motor that i'm rebuilding for school. What's the basic "must do" this while rebuilding? What basic internal mods can/should be done? Also, how much would a t3/t4 hybrid turbo cost? lastly, how much boost can be run with stock or hybrid, all other bolt on's included. Intake, exhaust, intercooler, fuel press. reg. Thanks for your help.

IMHO, no internal mods are necessary. Use factory gaskets and factory internals, unless you feel like throwing in some total seal rings. I've not heard anything bad about them and they should reduce blowby. If you are going for very high horsepower, consider the standard mods like prepping the rods, destressing the block, maybe o-ringing the block (with a factory head gasket).

I paid $700 for my hybrid. You can run as much boost as you want as long as you can supply the fuel (factory EFI to about 12 psi) and keep the intake charge cool (good intercooler). I know folks running 23+ psi on stock motors. A good freeflowing exhaust is a must, and eliminating intake restrictions help as well.

• 2 months later...
Guest Anonymous

...a t3/4 can be a bunch of different turbos...(and they have different characteristics)...my water-cooled t3/4ca-TO4-b 57trim costs $755...but it needs an external wastegate (i used a turbonetics deltagate mark-2...$208)....2 flanges $23...

........so................$1075 (for mine at least)......i see them (t3/4's) for $300....but like i said......there's a bunch of different ones....go to :

www.turbochargers.com (and other places)and you can size them up......s

The Nissan motor is stout in it's stock form, but on a rebuild, especially a turbo, I'd do two things. Forged pistons and ARP rod bolts. At minimum the bolts, but pistons give you more options powerwise down the road without taking it apart again. Once again comes down to cubic $.

I second Mikes info on the ARP rod bolts. I put them in my engine. Forged pistons depend on your budget, but IMO, they are worth it if you ever plan on turning up the boost.

I like flogging my engine, and a nice flowing hybrid and big boost means a little detonation, and kiss that stock piston goodbye. They increase your costs, but the extra safety margin is worth it.

I am not sure about the o-ringing. If you make sure to have the head and block surfaced, the factory Nissan headgasket should be fine. I am running in excess of 20 psi with my hybrid, and the stock one is getting the job done. If you have concerns, spend the money and get the HKS one.

The most important thing is to get good machine work. DOn't ever give a Datsun head to someone who just does chevy heads. They must know what they are doing, or they will mess them up. No fun. Just use good stuff, no cast rings. They suck. Use the Nissan rings, some from sealed power or total seal.

I would also recommend a balance job, make the engine much smoother.

Guest Anonymous

23 psi!? That's maddening for a stock l28et. At .065 bhp/cid psi(modest, but efficient setup).. of 168 cid puts you at 411 hp! I considered my own project "pushing the tin" (literally) at 18 psi, using stock internals with the exception of ARP studs and & bolts, new seals, 240 rods, and a good cleaning/balancing. I'm shooting for 300rwhp (~370 ala crank?), totally reworked fuel from the tank up, 460 denso injectors, sds em3-6F. I'm caught on the whole intercooler deal, but I really like the spearco 2-205 (if memory serves).. I may just end up forking out the $700 for it. I certainly won't skimp out on a small intercooler, it'll come back and malebitchslap.gif you

I've priced a good 57 trim t3/t4 w/ stage 3 .63 t3 turbine time, .6 compressor for $700 from majestic. Right now I can't beat that price anywhere.

Well good luck bigjohn, and don't forget to do your homework, MANY TIMES!

-980mak rockon.gif