HybridZ

Well I just got done re-keying my ignition to match my doors per the write up on Ratsun (http://community.ratsun.net/topic/47412-how-to-dissasemble-datsun-510-ignition-switch-and-rekey/) and I'm feeling pretty good about it.  Anyone else done this successfully?  The only problem I'm having though is that when I went to put my new ignition switch on the back and turn the key to make sure it would all work, the little shaft that turns from the key cylinder and goes into the switch wanted to bend on me... is there some reason that the ignition switch would be too stiff? I think it's a Beck-Arnley unit I bought from Rockauto, if that matters.  Any way to free it up so it doesn't bend that piece? Anyways I'm pretty excited that I was able to successfully re-key my ignition.  I've still got a whole re-keying kit so if anyone needs their ignition re-keyed feel free to PM me, I'd love to help out those in need.  Anyways I'm thinking the ignition switch must be faulty, or there must be some way to get it to turn freely, would appreciate any insight on this.  

Thanks!

-Austin

For clarification, the ignition is not installed on the steering column, and I was simply holding the switch in place behind the ignition assembly.  The steering lock had no friction on it whatsoever... It must just be a really stiff ignition switch unless I'm really missing something?

You could have the switch installed backwards (180 out) or engaged the tab when the switch was in the wrong position. Pull the switch off, put the key to lock, turn the ignition switch to it's furthest position away from "crank" and re engage the tab.

Make sure your tab is not bent...that will make for dodgy key positions later on. You can tweak it back straight with a needle nose pliers.

Ya I straightened out the tab, made sure it was in the right position, put the switch to the "lock" position as is marked on the back (err, front technically; side that faces the driver when installed) and got it to seat in the ignition housing.  Turned the key to engage it and it wouldn't go past the ACC position.  Just using a flathead screwdriver in the ignition switch it does feel really tight, but I can't see how that could be? Or how it could be remedied? I guess I'll just buy another new switch, what's the best bang for you buck for those these days? 

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW - I did this years ago by going to a local locksmith and having him rest the tumblers in my locks so they all matched the ignition key.  Cost me like $4/lock.

I know this is pretty silly but did you try a little WD-40 in the ignition switch?  I've had stiff lock issues before and WD-40 cured it by flushing out some time accumulated dirt and debris.

Thats a good price for getting the locks re-keyed! Like I said it was a really easy job, and I went into it thinking I couldn't handle it, which was not the case luckily.  I didn't think to do anything like that since it's a new switch, but I guess I'll try some PB blaster and see how that plays out, maybe that will do the trick, who knows? If that doesn't work, I'll just have to try and figure out the best switch I can get, and hope it works.