HybridZ

need advice on good radiator

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Im wanting to put something into my 72' besides the Griffin. What do yall have installed?? And any good fan/shroud, radiator combos out there?

thanks,

franklin

Guest Anonymous

In the near future im planning on making a tad bit more hp than what its currently making. I just want to get the damn best radiator i can get so i dont have to worry about it down the road. Any experience with Be Cool, or fluidyne radiators??

thanks,

franklin

Guest Anonymous

Howe racing aluminum radiator 19x24 and taurus 2 speed fan. Works fine, even in Tempe so far its running under 200 (which is saying something here let me tell you) in traffic with the air on.

The only experience I had with BeCool was a custom non-crossflow radiator in my bro's ranchero. He ordered one, it required modifying the radiator support because of they're stupid tank design only to find out they never tried it on a ranchero, only a mustang and assumed it fit. Great, but now where do we find a fan under 2" thick? (hint, there isn't one I know of, we looked at plenty of them). The craftsmanship looked good, beautiful tig welds, but I think they're entirely to pricey (his custom one was almost 600.00!) and don't show me a damn thing over Howe racing or Griffin.

Regards,

Lone

Ya' know something - now that Lone has mentioned it... I'm running a Howe too! malebitchslap.gif

Really, I think either will work fine. the big thing is to have a good fan and MOVE some air. I literally feel a breeze behind my car if the hood is up and that thing kicks on. I've witnessed it actually pick up a piece of paper from the floor in front of the car in the garage and stick it to the front of the radiator :eek: Truly sick!

Guest Anonymous

I agree Jim, truth be known, if I werent moving to the land of the sun (and weirdly enough I didnt know I was when I upgraded the radiator), I could have gotten by with my 240 A/C radiator, it was marginal but worked fine with the Taurus fan, and moving lots of air is the key (provided its sized reasonably close for the application). A fan shroud is important as well, the OEM fans usually have one the fan is mounted to.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

The thing is I have limited area between the radiator and the pulleys. Id say about 3.75" to 4" and on the very top of the rad. there is none due to my intake piping across the bay. I think ill stick to my griffin for now, but i just need a good fan/shroud combo that is very thin! Checked summitracing.com, and some other places and found nada. How much clearance does the mustang 4.6l fan/shroud have?? NEED PICS TOO PLEASE!! And do you think its adequate for around 400 hp??

Oh yah any of yall been to rondavisradiators.com?? very nice!!!

thank yall,

franklin

http://www.netsnapshot.com/pickalbum?zpeedrazer

Which taurus fan(s) are you guys using? I had one for a V-8 sho taurus, but I could not figure out how to mount the thing, so I sold it.

I have a 16 inch imperial on my ZXT and it keeps it cool enough with the intercooler out there, but in town when it is hot, and the ac is cranking, it doesn't get the job done. I could probably use a radiator flush though.

Guest Anonymous

Dan Juday what kind of flares are those on the back?? Looks killer! As for the fans, I think Im just going to go ahead and get 12" single flex-a-lite puller. Bad thing is its only 1250 cfm... Ill just have to wait and find out how it does.

thanks,

franklin

Guest Fast Frog

Not to muddy anybody's water, but at one time I was running a Paxton SC(harder pull on the engine than a Vortex or ProC) on my 383. I also ran with a Jim Cook Racing "ZV8" raditor and a Black Magic 150 elect fan. This combo never overheated here in Grand junction where the temp gets above 100 many times during the summer. However, I am thinking about a lighter Alum radiator. Which should it be? Howe? or Griffin?

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

last summer I was really working on this type of thing and bought a Griffen rad. After I fianally got around to installing it I found out that it interfered with my new intercooler piping. I got pissed and just went out and bought a stock radiaitor. Since then I have had abosoluty no proublem with over heating. Just last week coming home from the Convention I got stuck in the traffic in Austin. The temp gauge just bareley moved even after 30 minuites with the air on. I guess my point is that the stock set-up is fine for the L28 if it is in very good condition and has plenty of flow and a shroud on it. By the way I still have the unused Griffen in my garage I'd love to sell or trade to someone. Give me an e-amil if intrested.

I use the radiator out of a 77-78 Pontiac Grand Prix. These were V-8 cars (400 ci I think)and are identical to the lightweight Camaro radiators. The only difference is that the entire radiator is brass construction, natrually weighing a little more than the Camaro. I retrieved mine from a junk yard for $50 bucks and it was in near perfect condition. Pontiac's are a dime a dozen and finding this radiator should be very easy. It even has an integral AT cooler. I use a 18" flex fan and the shroud of another Pontiac that will fit the radiator. There are two styles, on is deeper and the other is short, but the shroud width is the same. Use the short style. my Z stays nice and cool 2thumbs.gif

Guest Anonymous
web pageSpeedy Radiator 1-800-730-2217 has a $5.00 shipping fee and a lifetime warranty. This site also has a very good search engine.I searched the 77-78 Pontiac Gran Prix radiator and found one under $90.00 but also wonder if this "aftermarket radiator" is over 26 inches wide and wider than the original Gran Prix radiator..which now also only be available used.4 seperate radiators are offered for the 77-78 Gran Prix. Would have to telephone Speedy Radiator to confirm width that would match or fit the Datsun frame rails @ 25 3/8ths inch. Also it is not the same stock #(951) as the Camaro 4 cylinder. Radiator #952 has been discontinued in the Camaro line and was the correct V8/ 4 cylinder radiator for the Z. I have a Griffin but still trying to solve the mystery to the inexpensive radiator mystery. Sounds like Pontiac is a start