HybridZ

Kirkey Racing Seats

RebekahsZ

I searched using this search browser and the google search function last week before posting this, so please don't put me in the tool bin :icon7: .

I am in the market for some new racing seats and I was considering Kirkey seats.  I mostly hobby drag race this 240z (about twice a month this summer), but I also autocross (7 events this year), daily drive and plan to do a couple of instructed track days a year.  I will have a 6-point roll bar with door bars to climb over and I need to get my seating done before I take car to roll bar builder.  I really don't want to have a removable steering wheel because I've seen enough videos of them popping off at inopportune times, but if I must, I must.  I'm 46 and the old lower back is a little compromised.

I have narrowed down to two types of Kirkey seats based on the compromise of side bolster design (not too high so I can get in) and the availability of fabric covers (I want cloth, not vinyl).  I have ridden in a friend's car with the Series 41 Pro Street Drag with just a little extra padding from the fabric store, and the seat was amazingly comfortable. 

Here are the two seats I'm comparing:

Series 41 Pro Street Drag

http://www.kirkeyracing.com/index.php?link=browse&code=Series41

Series 47 Intermediate Road Race

http://www.kirkeyracing.com/index.php?link=browse&code=Series47

What I don't know is:  How much lateral support do the shoulder bolsters add?  Any experienced advice out there before I go to paypal on these?

Shoulder bolsters add a significant amount of support to a driver doing a wide sweeper at 110mph. Definitely worth the bolsters if you plan on road racing a lot. Key word a lot. 

You're back will not enjoy getting into and out of the 47 series.

Even if you don't plan on road racing a lot, the shoulder bolsters are so nice to have. My GTI had Corbeau seats with no shoulder bolstering, and it was nowhere near as nice to go around a corner as it is in the Z. The Z has Corbeau TRS seats with pretty good bolstering. Even on the street, it makes such a big difference. 

Like Blu said, the huge bolsters on the 47 will make it pretty terrible to get in and out of. My Corbeau seats are already bad enough, and the bolstering is far smaller than the 47. 

Edited by Onion

I used to have a sparco fighter seat in my ZX and it had small shoulder bolster, it was a pain in the ass to get into and out of my car specifically for that reason. I know have sparco tec seats and the shoulder bolster is smaller, but it makes a world of difference for a car that I pretty much drove every day.

My thought process was that I probably shouldn't' be going as fast on the street anyway, and its not like the tec seats don't hold you. 

Edited by BluDestiny

Thank you. I will look at those models for perspective. It is looking like the drag seat is gonna win this one.

I looked at their other seats, it's pretty unfortunate that there isn't something with more bolstering than the drag seat and less than the road race seat.

Depending on how tall you are, it's not THAT bad. If you get in and out of the car a lot in the same day, it tends to get annoying, especially if you're tall. I'm pretty short, but I have back problems because of a previous accident (35 mph t-bone on my driver door), so getting in and out frequently isn't too pleasant. If I only get in once and stay sitting in the car for a while, it's alright, even with the bolstering. The 47 seems to have quite a bit more bolstering than my seats, though. 

Note: I will add that even though the seats are sometimes painful and annoying, I REALLY appreciate them when I go around corners, it feels so much nicer with shoulder bolsters.

Oh, and also, if you slide your seat back every time you want to get out of the car, it makes it much easier. I don't want a removable wheel either, and I like to sit fairly close to the wheel, which makes it tricky to get out. I just slide it back and it's a lot easier on the back. 

4LABf.jpg

Edited by Onion