HybridZ

Supercharged L6

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

First, I've had a turbo (944T), and didn't like its characteristics, so let's not go there. I've searched in this forum for supercharger threads and didn't find anything promising, so I'll ask: Has anydone done a supercharger for the L6 engine? If not, why not? If so, tell me about it.

I'll give you the main reason: It is a much easier conversion to turbo because Nissan made a factory turbo motor and control system that drops in. The only supercharger kit I've ever heard of is the Eaton-based kit from Jim Cook Racing, and it used a Holley injection for only 7 psi boost. Weak, in my mind - won't keep up with a factory turbo for twice the cost.

Keep in mind turbos are so much easier to upgrade with intercoolers and bigger turbos, and the Nissan L28ET can do 400hp stock.

mitch, i'm running the jcr blower setup on my z and it does pretty well. no turbo lag, linear power/torque curve. i also avg. 20mpg around town and 28highway [provided i keep my foot out of it]. i'm running 7lbs boost on the l28et block/p90 head. i get rubber in 2nd and 3rd [81 n/a 5spd and r200 3.90 diff]. the holley projection unit is old and i will eventually upgrade to an sds or electromotive unit. auto-x's i regularly beat; porsche 944t & 911t's, corvettes & camaro 5.7's & mustang 5.0's. i've had the unit for 10 years now and the camden [not eaton] roots blower has proven reliable.

hope this helps...

I'm supprise you didn't like the 944t - does low 14's stock.

Superchargers are good but your upgrades are limited.

You can do a lot more upgrades on a Turbo car it all depends how much you want to spend.

In my opinion the 280zx stock turbo has no turbo lag. Just like the supercharger there very little boost at low rpm. It all depends how you drive the car.

Here's one thing you can do on the fly with a turbo which you can't on a supercharger... by pushing a button on a electronic boost controller you can instantly add 100hp. The electronic boost controller will increase the amount of boost you set it to. It all depends on your setup and defiantly not on a stock turbo or stock setup.

For example Tim's 240z is pushing almost 500hp rwhp if he wanted to he can just set it at 350hp by running lower boost and bump it back up on the fly.

There are also more downside of a turbo compared to a supercharger.

Sorry it's long; well theres my why not answer...

Guest Anonymous

I drive a turbo zed, and i love it personally but could see how many people wouldn't like the characteristics.. as before the turbo kicks in i'll only be off the line as some lil hyundai.. course.. pretty quickly the story changes..

but i know where you're coming from, and from personal knowledge i believe there is an old toyota supercharger that goes well on the to L6 block.. i'll give someone a call to find out more if you want..

have you thought about just going NA? my dads zed is an NA L28 with SU carbs and that thing flies! obviously you'll be heavily restricted by the SUs but if you switched to efi and maybe multiple throttle bodies there is some serious NA power to be had on the block! and if you're in to a showy car there's nothing sexier then a line of really nice throttle bodies, hehe

I had a supercharged L28 in my old 240. It was a toyota SC14 and was a very nice compact unit. The bottom end and mid range were fantastic, but with no intercooler in was lacking in top end power. You can see pic's of the unit in my home page.

Steven

Just a side note on what Arch my260 was saying about his Dads car and the SU's being restrictive. I was running a L28 with a fairly large cam in hillclimbs that were timed to a 0.01 of a second, and when i changed to EFI with a 65mm throttle body my times didnt improve at all, the enginge was more flexable and ran nicely from cold to hot with the EFI.But i think the old su is a very under rated carby, and i wouldnt be in a rush to get rid of them.

Steven

Hi Mitch-

I have a Camden Blower with JCR Manifold that I'm going to put on my '78. This will probably take a few months to finish as I'm converting the manifold to EFI. I'll use the Haltech that's currently on the car.

I'm fascinated by the prospect of a straight-6 Z with low-end torque.

So much for my "keep it simple" '78 Daily driver :D

I'll let you know how it works out.

I'll post most of this in the appopriate forums later,(Is there some sort of etiquette about

changing subjects of a post?) but-

The one piece front end was from Arizona Z car - a paper-thin racing piece that I had to bond

- in headlight buckets, flares, and hinge mounting points. Pain in the A$$ to install, make fit,strengthen, and make look good.

The cage is a Safety Devices bolt-in deal - To install it I cut out part of the sides of the dash

for the uprights to fit through, then after installation filled in the cutouts with foam and

installed a full face dash cap trimmed for where front uprights exit the top of the dash. The dash was already trashed on this car so I really didn't mind cutting it up. Looks good now, however.

BTW, don't buy a bolt - in cage, have one built to fit your car. I'm not happy with the fit of

mine.

The diff mounting mod raises the rear of the diff up about 1-5/8" to get the halfshaft u-joints

in their happy zone after a 3-1/2" lowering with coilovers.The frame member above had to be notched (and the notch reinforced) to clear. The front of the diff was raised with spacers to get an acceptable driveshaft angle.

All this makes me tired just talking about it - I'm glad its done - but you know what they say

about Hot Rods (and extreme Zs) - They're never finished. I keep thinking all the hard stuff is

done but.... you know. rolleyesg.gif

Not to change the subject again, but i was thinking about trying to fit a centrifugal blower (vortec, powerdyne, etc.) onto my 77 NA 280. Possibly in place of the A/C or on the opposite side of that. That would take care of a couple of the problems listed above, because the centrifugal setup is kind of like a belt driven turbo, and you can pretty easily intercool them. BUT, i would have to fab up a bracket, some kind of crank pully setup to spin it, and all the necessary piping to get the compressed air through the intercooler and into the intake manifold. But then there's that wow factor somebody mentioned...so i don't know. If i do anything with this idea i'll be sure to take plenty of pics and post them on my page.

Guest bastaad525

That's what I'd want to do Breeze. I'm really more for going with a supercharger even if it will limit my ability to boost. However, I don't want to get that s/c kit that JCR sells, with the special manifold and fuel injection and all that. I want something smaller that bolts on where the A/C or smog pump goes, and doesn't necessarily need a whole new intake manifold. I'd love if I could run something like this with my SU's.... though I read that SU's don't work well with forced induction.

There is a "Turbo & High-tech Performance" magazine article about a guy turbocharging a triple throttle body induction, but i think he pretty much modified the bejesuz out of it to handle a lot more fuel.

The owner of the car is Tod Kaneko and he owns Ziel Motorsports., but anyway, i guess if you have the motivation i'm sure you could supercharge a triple mikuni/weber setup.

oh, btw, its the August 2001 issue.

Patrick.

Guest Anonymous

Randy, thats a pretty good idea. Its what I was going to suggest as well. A Eaton charger off of a T-bird or Pontiac SCC would seem to do the treat as they both were made to boost 3.8 ltr motors, a 2.4-3.0 stroker with the right pulleys might be a neat setup. The blower is smaller than those big round turbo-supercharger type Vortex's and stuff. Put it on the pass side of a L6 with the intercooler and and the piping entering back on the drivers side would seem like a pretty nice package. I see them on Ebay all the time for a song compared to a brand new kit from a Z only vendor.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

If centrifical supercahargers is what you want look at the ATI units they come with the intercooler for the same price as the vortech and paxton neither of which is worth the money. Ati makes a kit that bolts on to mid 80's mustangs that came with 4 barrel carbs. All you would need to do is find a 4 barrell manifold for your Z, and I wouldn't recommend the unit that bolts to half of the SU manifold setup.