HybridZ

loose and heavy

I have a 76 280z convertible with a chevy small block (350)  and a Turbo 350 trans. I have the stage 1 big brake kit on the front and 16" rims on the car. My issue(s) are the way it feels when it drives (especially at slower speeds),  it feels really heavy, very loose and somewhat unresponsive. I'm thinking/hoping it's my shocks and springs (I'm sure they are the original shocks and springs) and that they are worn out. I have a set of (fronts are cut 1") stock springs and tokico shocks ready to go the car. Any ideas if this will improve the way the car drives and/or if there is something else I should be doing.

Thanks!

Who did the convertible work?  You might have more body flex than a typical Z.  And typically it's the rear end that sits extra high on the stock 280Z's.  You said the fronts of the spring set you'll be swapping in have been cut 1" but what about the back?  Lowering made my 76 feel more stable, so that won't hurt, but I cut the backs more than the fronts.

Edited by NewZed

I'll check the tie rods, bushings and ball joints. I'm going to try the replacement springs first (they were cut by the Z owner who had them previously). Both conversion were done by the previous owner. I have a 4 pt roll bar and I have rear strut brace along with front braces that run from the floor boards up to the front strut towers. This is one of the reasons it's an automatic, very little room for a clutch pedal. I think a front strut tower brace is one of the next upgrades.