HybridZ

looking at nissan pathfinder, sev6 auto 4x4

280zex

ok so my stupid self purchased a 2005 vw jetta 2.5 POS and its now paid off and HAS TO GO!! I am looking at a 1990 pathfinder se v6 auto trans 4x4. it has 250k with normal interior wear but is clean and never wrecked AFAIK.

Im surfing the innerwebz now for known issues with pathfinders but I could use any input from the board members that may have knowledge of said pathfinders.

I have found no rust and no leaks that I can see. the only wire harness chop I see is a shitty radio install job.

IDK anything about Nissan pathfinder se v6 v6 engines, so VG30?? I know most the things to check, but is there any hidden issues that could bite me in the ass?? AKA the auto 4x4 hubs??

I've had a 95 Pathfinder for 18 years.  221,000 miles on the engine and it still runs great.  The main problems with them that I've heard and/or experienced is:

- the driver's side exhaust manifolds tend to crack

- they break exhaust manifold studs.  Watch traffic for a while and you'll probably see several 90's PF's farting by as they accelerate.

- the early engines uses a timing belt that required replacing at 65,000 mile (I think).  They changed the tooth design later to go 105,000.  It's an interference engine so when it goes, the vehicle typically ends up in the junkyard  (check the yards and you'll see many in nice shape with no apparent reason for being there).  It's crowded in the engine bay so replacement takes some work.

- the cam seals leak at high mileage, as does the water pump.  Both are behind the timing belt.  Courtesy Nissan has actually put a kit together of all of those parts to do in one big job.

- I've heard that the auto transmissions aren't very good and tend to give problems.  Many of the nice PF's I've seen in the wrecking yards also had auto's.

Otherwise, the rest is pretty durable.  Mine only went in to the shop twice, once for the cracked exhaust manifold and once for a busted power window motor (I hit the automatic roll-down with the window frozen shut - my fault).  Mine is an SE 4x4 with 5 speed and the auto hubs.  But I haven't really used them much.

I would ask specifically about the timing belt.  If it's not within the 65,000 mile window or close, it's just a self-destruction waiting to happen.  Check the front of the motor for oil and water leaks, and abuse the transmission in a test drive.

They are good vehicles as long as they were taken care of. 250K??

If it hasn't been done since 150K. Change timing belt, timing belt tensioner, water pump, front crank seal and camshaft seals all at the same time.

Replace the coolant hoses also. No 4x4 or hub issues, just check the unit for seal leaks.

Exhaust manifolds crack and start leaking sometimes. If so replace the cylinder head exhaust manifold studs, they snap off.

I have been a nissan Dealership mechanic since 1998.

Edited by dexter72

I did start the vehicle and did not notice any exhaust noises/issues. There is a bit of rust about the rear exhaust muffler and pipe = normal. the trans does not shift correctly and the dealer is having that fixed before resale. also the oil fill cap is missing. waiting for trans fix before I can go for a test drive...

Edited by 280zex