HybridZ

JTR Headers - Spark Plug Wires

How about a set of these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Cyl-set-Blue-Heat-Protector-Sleeve-Spark-Plug-Wire-Boots-/271289069398?pt=Race_Car_Parts&hash=item3f2a16af56&vxp=mtr

I put them on my car after I made my long tube headers.  I only have about 100 miles on the car since installing the long tube headers, but I have not yet burned any wires.

My car has a stroked 5.0L Ford engine, but has the same kind of issues.

post-30-0-55141800-1384814179_thumb.jpegpost-30-0-49685200-1384814185_thumb.jpegpost-30-0-59393500-1384814191_thumb.jpegpost-30-0-96487100-1384814197_thumb.jpeg

They are not the prettiest things, and you can see where some are scorched.  The wires underneath are fine.

Edited by 74_5.0L_Z

I've been wondering how to protect my Magnacor wires and even with the 90 degree bends, there are 2 plug boots that just touch the header.  (with the JTR ceramic coated headers)  Frustrating that they even make them that way!!

I had a friend who burnt his wires all the time with the SBC 400 in his 240Z and went with the Jacobs wires with ceramic boots and they lasted many years, track days, etc. even sitting right on the header.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/jac-4830400

I wonder if these sleeves are a viable option or not?

http://www.3m.com/market/industrial/ceramics/products/spark_plug_boots.html

I was looking at the Jacob wires a while ago but cannot seem to find anyone who has them in stock. :(  I think I may try two of the Accel 9000 wires for the two plugs where the wires touch.

74_5.0L_Z, I have those socks on my wires and they do not help.....as a matter of fact, I think it makes it worse since the plug insulator is in intimate contact with the sock, and given the sock thickness it is, in turn, in contact with the header.

I don't see how stock LS1 wires will work either as it is cylinders 3 and 5 (middle 2 on drivers side) that have the clearance issue.

• 4 weeks later...

You mean like this? I was wrong they actually touch with zero clearance. Im just saying they work.

heavy85, thank you thank you thank you!  I ordered a complete set of the stock covers and installed them on the two middle plug wires on the driver side.  I've put around 1000 miles on the car since then and they are not showing any signs of deterioration.  I had to slightly oval out one of the covers because I could not get the plug wire to snap onto the plug, but so far so good.