HybridZ

Powering injectors directly from the battery?

74Adam

Ok, so I am starting to get my head into the fuel injection system; learning enough to be dangerous but not much more. So, I know it's common for people to have to troubleshoot if their injectors are firing and that the stock connectors can be finicky. It got me wondering: if you wanted to make things really simple and ensure that you KNOW you are getting power to the injectors could you just wire them directly? If you have a battery with the additional side posts you could just get some ring terminals and run two lines that each branch off six times and if you wire in new connectors on top of that it seems like a reasonably low cost solution to being able to rule out a potential issue. I don't know, maybe it's a terrible idea and would burn something up. Would it need to be fused......if so, how much? Just thinking out loud..........

Do not do this. All Zs use low impedance injectors. Which means there's resistors either in the ecu or wired inline which reduces the current. You will fry them and cause more problems. In other words "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." 

I would say most problems with "injectors not firing" has to do with the input/output from the ECU. Injectors not getting power is pretty far down on the list.

How are you "learning"?

The FSM clearly shows this is how they are already wired (through a current limiting resistor) --are you using the diagnostic tools recommended in the FSM, like a VOM/DVOM?

Do you know how to use the diagnostic equipment?

Ok, so I am starting to get my head into the fuel injection system; learning enough to be dangerous but not much more. So, I know it's common for people to have to troubleshoot if their injectors are firing and that the stock connectors can be finicky. It got me wondering: if you wanted to make things really simple and ensure that you KNOW you are getting power to the injectors could you just wire them directly? If you have a battery with the additional side posts you could just get some ring terminals and run two lines that each branch off six times and if you wire in new connectors on top of that it seems like a reasonably low cost solution to being able to rule out a potential issue. I don't know, maybe it's a terrible idea and would burn something up. Would it need to be fused......if so, how much? Just thinking out loud..........

As Tony said, the injectors are already wired into the battery through a dropping resistor and a fuse. They receive battery power all the time when the key is "on". You can ground out each injector by finding the correct pin on the ECU plug, stick a wire into it and then tap it on a ground with the key "on". The injector should fire every time you tap the wire.