HybridZ

tecreatta

I decided when the interest in the Duplicolor Paint Shop paint thread reached its current point, I would post pictures of what lacquer looks like. The door below was shot with Midnight Blue Acrylic lacquer from tcpglobal. The paint is real similar to the PPG Duracryl lacquer system for those who are interested. My grandfather taught me how to shoot lacquer. It's idiot proof in a way as patch work melts back into old paint.It has a depth to it you can't duplicate with clear. The door was sprayed with four coats of lacquer, then it was wet sanded with 800, 1500, and 2000 respectively. I used a pneumatic wet sander with film disks.  Then it was polished with 3m Machine Polish #5996. I'm not done with the door but it gives you a general idea about lacquer.

Edited by tecreatta

Grandpa's doing great Yasin. He just turned 68 last month. He still gets out and does things such as transmission swaps. I finally got him to give up on the Explorer. I gave him a clean Chevy K1500. You should have saw his reaction. Thanks for asking Yasin. I need to come by in December sometime.

To do a good 4 coat paint job with lacquer your looking at about 3 gallons thinned (1.5 paint, 1.5 thinner) for a car the size of a corvette or Z. When you spray lacquer most of your volume is lost as a portion of the thinner evaporates when sprayed.  I haven't finished painting this z yet but I'll be sure to post pictures and details after completely finishing the job. If your interested in the paint, its cheaper to buy it from tcp through the newegg marketplace. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

Thanks Tony

Have you tried low pressure hot cup? The hot cup lets you really get build on lacquer. I never had the money to buy a gun when I was in apprenticeship.

My 1982 VW Mars Red lacquer job on the 62 bus is still shiny nice, even though it was shot outdoors, in the fall...of 1982!

I got a Binks 7. There WAS a time the Harbor Freight Standard Gun was a VERY GOOD Binks 7 copy (we're talking mid-80's...)

I would use the HF guns with the new polyester and catalysed primers then because more often than not something unexpected came up and it hardened in the gun! At the time they were $9.95 and went on sale for $4.95! I would buy 10 at a time to get free shipping to the APO, then sell five to Japanese guys who PO'd the local Binks Rep by swapping their Binks parts onto the Central Pneumatic Body! LOL

At the time the Iwata was a beautiful Lacquer gun. It had a fan adjustment that you could adjust with your thumb, so you could go from wide fan oval to circle as a shape tapered for less waste... Clever, those Japanese!

Edited by Tony D