HybridZ

Ground control vs T3 camber plates

Only a bit by rotating them by one bolt hole. I don't see folks adjusting caster with any style camber plate-I think that aspect is a bunch of hype. Use the cyber plate for camber and an adjustable TC rod for caster. Adjusting caster sounds important but it creates more clearance headaches when you put larger wheels on. You start having rubbing on the airdam then next thing you know you gotta take a sawzall to all your sheet metal. Adjusting caster was probably the rage when guys put 13" wheels on their z cars but the-17s you need to clear big brakes makes caster increases a real headache.

This sounds like an argument for more caster adjustment in the camber plates, as increasing caster from the top should pull the wheel back from the air dam. 

You are welcome to try, but the stock strut tower has limited room inside to move things around.  It pretty much takes all of your space to get 3 degrees of camber. With additional lowering I can get a total of 3.7 degrees out of the DP plates in front.  You might get a degree or two of caster out of the camber plate, but no where near the 8-9 degrees that is recommended in the Suspension FAQ.  I was able to achieve 4.5 degrees of caster with a combination of adjustable TC rods and the DP camber plates-any more than that will take some sheet metal cutting.  Car does not push (understeer) any more.  I am now looking at a staggered wheel setup to try to keep rear end under me at the autocross-I have more trouble with rear tire traction when going straight than I have with lateral traction.

You are welcome to try, but the stock strut tower has limited room inside to move things around.  It pretty much takes all of your space to get 3 degrees of camber. With additional lowering I can get a total of 3.7 degrees out of the DP plates in front.  You might get a degree or two of caster out of the camber plate, but no where near the 8-9 degrees that is recommended in the Suspension FAQ.  I was able to achieve 4.5 degrees of caster with a combination of adjustable TC rods and the DP camber plates-any more than that will take some sheet metal cutting.  Car does not push (understeer) any more.  I am now looking at a staggered wheel setup to try to keep rear end under me at the autocross-I have more trouble with rear tire traction when going straight than I have with lateral traction.

Yeah the combination seems to be ideal, did you get your 4.5 degrees with coilovers or stock diameter springs? I presume 2.5" coilover springs should open up a decent bit of room for cast adjustment. 

The 204-1003 requires that you cut the top of the tower up and the 1017 doesn't. I have been a big advocate for the 1017 but I am running into a snag with them: I am having to cut up the top of the strut tower anyway in order to access the adjuster screw on my new koni shocks. The adjuster on tokicos cleared stock sheet metal. Now I'm cutting anyway, so it is kind of a wash. Keep an eye on my build thread in the projects forums and when I'm finished in a couple of weeks I will post photos.

Nobody races those around here ...so I kinda have to rely a bit in the forums for feedback and hopefully provide my own once I get her on the track ...still want to keep her as a daily driver as well ...anyways I guess the website saying the other kit is a bolt in ...it's not ?....the shocks I'm getting are konis as well ...so if I have to cut it up maybe I should open the option of weld ins again ....if I can't find a true bolt in might as well weld the plates in .

• 4 weeks later...

Are both weld-in and bolt in plates allowed in SVRA? I believe the inhibiting factor would be that they do not approve of 'reinforcing' the mounting area, but the rules suggest everything is OK as long as the track stays the same? I just want to be especially sure of this before welding some in that cannot be removed

Also whats the methodology for lining up the weld-in camber plates to prevent uneven L/R caster? Just put the flat edge of the plate flush against the fender?

Edited by ol doc gully

Thanks, after seeing the AZC instructions I now realize aligning with the other strut top is enough, I suppose that was my question.

Also, I realize it was for IT classing that 'reinforcing' the strut mount area is frowned upon, so I suppose if one wants to be safe in both IT and SVRA they should go for the ground control plates.

• 3 weeks later...

I second the comments on the weld in plates. I did my T3 plates yesterday in the front and spent the majority of my time measuring and double checking placement. Its one of those things that will cause you to have kind of a snowball effect for adjustment if its not true to eachother, the original angle and placement on the car and level.  They are great quality parts and with the top hat bearing system they sell with the ground control kits its far more adjustment than i'll ever need for camber. I've seen the EMI style plates installed and raised an eyebrow at it only using 2 bolts to mount but its a total non issue. A good friend has a set of the EMI style on his car with ground control. Its squeeky sometimes but, its seen a few track days at summit point and never had anything move or come out of alignment. I did the T3 plates because i like the upper hat system a little more.

• 2 weeks later...

I am assuming that you can just square the camber plat to the firewall as well. The only thing I don't like about the T3 plates is that they are really too thick to bend them easily to conform with the strut top like the AZC ones. I haven't installed my T3 plates yet, but I'll let you all know how it goes when I do.

The 204-1003 requires that you cut the top of the tower up and the 1017 doesn't. I have been a big advocate for the 1017 but I am running into a snag with them: I am having to cut up the top of the strut tower anyway in order to access the adjuster screw on my new koni shocks. The adjuster on tokicos cleared stock sheet metal. Now I'm cutting anyway, so it is kind of a wash. Keep an eye on my build thread in the projects forums and when I'm finished in a couple of weeks I will post photos.

Thanks very much for the part numbers.  Want to install the 204-1017 on my 240Z.  What needs to be underneath the 1017 to the top of the coil spring?  Right now have the original doughnut on top of the Koni Racing Shocks inside shortened struts with adjustable coilovers.  Really would appreciate your experience in this subject.