HybridZ

intake removal

richard

Hi. I am in the process of trying to remove the intake and exhaust manifolds on a 77 280 and am stuck at trying to get the heat shield off. one book says one screw holds it but I am d%^%if I can find it I have the 4 bolts out (two short and two long and that is where I`m stopped. ??? any help will be appreciated Richard 

Another tip, if you havent already, keep hitting all the intake/exhaust manifold bolts you see with PB blaster.  I made sure I applied PB blaster (or a similar penetrating oil) in the morning and the evening for about 3 days.  Last thing you want is to deal with a snapped bolt in the head.

There's two bolts on the underside in line with the #3 and #5 runner. They will be most likely be seized and if it they do break loose, be prepared to lose several square inches of skin on the lip of the heat shield.

You don't really need to take the shield off to remove the manifold. You can reach the bolts on the underside with a 12" extension. There should be a gap between the heat shield and the manifold where you can see the washers. Just fish around there until it's grabbed onto something solid. And good luck getting those off as others have mentioned. Penetrating oil is your friend.

I just went through this a couple of weeks ago on my '83.  Not sure if the heat shield setup is the same but on mine as a poster above said removing the heat shield wasn't necessary for manifold removal.  A whole lot of blind poking around with an extension was what eventually did the trick for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to throw something in here that made life a whole lot easier for me during re-assembly (and I felt like a dunce for not thinking about it during disassembly).  If disassembling, take your replacement gasket and line it up where you know the top bolts are on the intake and set it in place on top of the manifold leaning against the tapet cover.  When reassembling, use the old gasket (if still mostly intact) in the same fashion.  So much easier than trying to remember a tiny picture out of a book.

Edited by Chris83zxt