HybridZ

Cross Member Mounting Points

The FSM doesn't even call out the dimension to the firewall, from anywhere, that I can see.  Doesn't look like a good reference point.

Why trust somebody's shaky tape measure hand when there are several ways to cross-check the FSM numbers, and/or back out a super-simple dimension like to the top of the front strut?

So I should use the strut towers as a reference point? That would require me to assume 'Point B' for the engine mounts, is shared by the cross member on the rails? That is what confused me in the first place with the FSM diagram... 

Why don't you mate the transmission to the engine and attach the cross member to the engine. Once you have the transmission bolted to the trans mount your cross member will naturally position itself in the right spot of the frame rail.

Cheers,

Why don't you mate the transmission to the engine and attach the cross member to the engine. Once you have the transmission bolted to the trans mount your cross member will naturally position itself in the right spot of the frame rail.

Cheers,

I was going to do that as a last resort, as it involved the most caffufulllry compared to dropping the everything into the pre-mounted crossmember etc. I also have a huge aftermarket 8 gallon bluddy oil pan, will hit the ground before the cross... so I cant just sag everything onto the ground without a day long game of musical jack-stands... I still have the driver's side floor pan to finish welding up, and had this forum going while I finish the rest up...

Using the motor and transmission as a jig is a good idea.  One step back (or forward depending on perspective) would be to take the measurements from the assembled motor and transmission. Or make a jig from the motor and transmission.  Wood, scrap steel, plastic, whatever material you feel comfortable with. 

p.s. the point about multiple dimensions in the FSM drawing is that you can determine what's right with math.  They're not all wrong, and as was noted above, it's not wrong in all of the FSM's.  The good news is that all of these suggestions are most likely more accurate than measuring from the firewall, which does not appear to be precisely located during manufacturing.

Please note this is not really the x distance you requested, this is to where the cross member meets the frame rail in the engine bay, the cross member actually mounts on the other side of the fender near the wheels. Was too cold to go crawling around under there.

C5ED89C4-B891-424C-BBA1-3C37C08C9BB7-196

Edited by seattlejester