HybridZ

Strange noises in the engine bay. A/C Compressor? (See video)

Connor280ZX

I've always heard wierd sounds coming from the front of my car ever since i bought it, but they are getting louder. Leads me to believe its my compressor because i've had refrigerant level issues, and other wierd sounds coming from that area (Scraping, groaning, grinding sounds etc.) which i usually adress with some 3-in-1 oil. So, what do you guys think? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdq5rbYpdiE&feature=youtu.be

These sounds can be heard from inside the car when cruising, and louder when the climate control is on.

Edited by Connor280ZX

is that an original compressor with r12 or converted to r134?

Honestly I have no idea. When I got the car, the a/c wouldn't stay on. It would just click on and off rapidly. We thought it was a refrigerant level issue at first, so we tried pumping some r134 into it... The nozzle on the hose didnt match the one on the low side, which when mated leaked. eventually, we found out that the problem Turned out to be a vacuum leak that I repaired.

Edited by Connor280ZX

It's not uncommon for the adjustment idler pulley bearing to go bad on the S30's.  I'm not familiar with what the S130's use for belt adjustment.

I also don't know what compressor bearing failure sounds like when you blend R134 with with R12 and its lubricants.  From what I've read the lubricant used in R12 is incompatible with R134.  If you put enough R134 in, the R12 lubricant will separate and the compressor bearings will fail.  Could be what's happening to yours.