HybridZ

Turbo swap or keep it simple ? (anybody in asheville nc)

I have searched but not too much out there. so heres the deal I have a great running 240 w/ l28 and su carbs. I am about to pick up a 83 turbo car . My question is should I do the swap ? I have experience with mechanical stuff engine, tranny swaps etc. but never with electronics . How reliable will it be? Also for those that have done it how much did it cost if you keep everything stock ?

(i got the 75' gas tank ) Lastly anybody in the Asheville NC area that has done the swap I would greatly appreciate and would compensate their time for a little wiring help .

thanks

Dan

Well it's obvious you're not happy with your 240 now, since you're thinking of doing the swap.  The L28 pulls pretty well without the turbo.  Turbo, you'll have more power, but the exchange is less life (not really a factor if you take care of your engines and don't run too much boost.)  You'll be much happier after upgrading to megasquirt as well.  There are plenty of maps already setup for the L28ET.  MS is not required. You can use the stock S130Turbo electronics and parts.  There are plenty of diagrams on exactly what to hook up where to integrate the Turbo engine into your Z.   If you have a local Z club, Ask if anyone has a Turbo Z or ZX and go for a ride. If you like it then go for it, If not then keep what you've got.  Since you have the donor, you should have all the parts you need including the 5 speed.

Thanks for the response.  l I guess i was trying to find out the cost associated with the swap and time it took to do. There are plenty of very informative threads here. Really looking for someone in the Asheville area who has done it would be great. My biggest concern is getting to the end and being really frustrated. Its not that i am not happy with 240 now but it would be really fun to step it up a bit. I really like the idea of triples and a cam but the high cost .... I assume i can use my 280zx n/a trans with the turbo ?