HybridZ

VG30ET Competition Engine

260DET

Not sure why I'm posting this really but a friend of mine is building a competition Z and according to the rules it cannot have a Nissan engine later than the VG30ET. It's a full on project with a budget to match but of course one problem is obtaining accurate and useful info, not secret stuff but little tricks that help in building a powerful and  reliable engine with a nice torque spread. He knows that the heads are the key, we agree that there are not many around who have real expertise in this area and are available to do one off work.

Anyway, there you go, I'm rapt that finally there may be some real pro development of the single cammer after all this time.

There has been a lot of development here in the US on the VG30DET.  That engine was used as an early base for Nissan's LMP2 race engine program.  I saw one built by Sunbelt on the dyno back in 2001.  With two 25mm restrictors it made 435hp and 450 ft. lbs. of torque.

What do you mean by "later than a VG30ET?" as in an engine that was introduced after the introduction of the VG30ET?  or one that was produced after production of the VG30ET ceased?  Are there displacement restrictions?  number of valves/cylinder restrictions?  number of cylinder restrictions?  Just curious.  Its not cheating unless there is a rule specifically against it.  

It's a strange thing with the VG30ET John, I did heaps of research on the race development of the VG30ET a couple of years ago but could find nothing definite that would stand up to scrutiny. All the US race expertise in them seems to have disappeared but perhaps it's just gone underground to dodge the 'gimme it for free' lot. From an ongoing development and maintenance point of view it's better to get an engine built locally I think, as distinct from buying suitable parts.

Yes Mack, the relevant historic based rules mean that only a VG30E or ET can be used.

It takes about 10 to 15 years for hard core engine development expertise on a specific engine to become generally available in the public domain. Until then that knowledge is thought to be still worth enough to be kept for paying customers.

For your research finding one of those paying customers from 10 years ago would be your best source.

No VG33Es then I take it?  Are you allowed to use later VG30Es with the bigger crank snouts and better heads?  Or are you strictly limited to Z31 stuff?

http://www.race-cars.com/engsold/other/1146616613/1146616613ss.htm This might be a good place to start snooping, seeing as how they are in your back yard practically.  I know the parts are sold, but perhaps they could put you in touch with the cats who bought them?

Edited by Mack

No VG33Es then I take it?  Are you allowed to use later VG30Es with the bigger crank snouts and better heads?  Or are you strictly limited to Z31 stuff?

http://www.race-cars.com/engsold/other/1146616613/1146616613ss.htm This might be a good place to start snooping, seeing as how they are in your back yard practically.  I know the parts are sold, but perhaps they could put you in touch with the cats who bought them?

I believe when I inquired about that engine awhile back, I was told these guys bought it. I could be wrong, but you might want to drop them an email.

http://epracing.net/

Will pass the info on to the project owner, thanks. Years ago I asked Unique who had all that Electramotive stuff at the time about a motor, was going to cost ~$15k or so for parts which was a bit much for me. As for what exactly is allowed engine wise I really don't know but would imagine internal things like cranks would be free.