HybridZ

Should I pay $6K for a resto, salvaged 71 Z??

Prove it does. You can't. And that's the point of this whole thread.

You are making a statement without a clue as to the market. CONDITION rules the day FAR more than 'title type'!

ANYBODY who has had a car "repossessed" when VIN Checked by Police despite having "CLEAR TITLE" will know exactly what I mean. I've see it happen far too many times.

Just because the title is "Clear" does not mean the car isn't stolen, salvaged, flooded, reconstructed, that actual vehicle....etc.

I can show you a factory Fuel-Injected 1973 Datsun 2+2....clear and clean title. Is that car worth more than a 75 2+2 with a "Salvage Title"?

Obviously it's a fraudulent or incorrect title of some sort, but it's "Clean and Clear"...

Any intelligent person will take what is on a piece of paper with a grain of salt. Less so today because of the moronic internet culture which pervasively dissuades thinking and promotes "if it's on the internet, then it's true' ergo 'if it's on a piece of paper, then it REALLY must be true!"

This matters to people who don't know what they're looking for, don't know the marque, and are looking to spend money without research. And they WILL get burned.

Any intelligent person will take what is on a piece of paper with a grain of salt..

Normally I can take your bombast and just ignore it. Your comment above takes the cake, however. Just because you say something loudly and repeatedly, doesn't make it a fact. For me, this thread has run it's course and really didn't prove or resolve anything over the last month.

Dennis

Normally I can take your bombast and just ignore it. Your comment above takes the cake, however. Just because you say something loudly and repeatedly, doesn't make it a fact. For me, this thread has run it's course and really didn't prove or resolve anything over the last month.

Dennis

The OP, still is participating , he had a post two days ago . So his thread did prove to him valid points. I ask what is the point in quoting just one line and not the entire idea on a comment made by a forum member, in order to custom make an attack . Seems that there a people just hovering the forum to make infantile responses that make no valid contributions to the topic on hand. :icon56:

Edited by PLATA

Sorry, but that's not the point.  The point is that a car with a salvage title is worth significantly less than an equivalent car with a clean title at the time of sale.

Going a little further, has anyone here insured a car with a salvage title for full coverage and not just liability?

Dennis

Mines full coverage insured for 25g through Hagerty with a ST

You guys all make valid points. However, ones point is only as valid as one believes or wants it to be. Yes, the title does say salvaged, but like mentioned above, Im going to drive it to the ground amd enjoy it, and to me, thats worth more than 6k. I'm also going to get it appraised and insured for what its worth...we'll see how that goes. I'll keep yall posted

That appraisal will (should) change some people's "opinion" to be more in line with my "bombast"....

As I say, and loudly as it repeats factual statements and not opinion: don't take a "clear title" as anything more than words on a piece of paper. Unless that factory fuel injected 260ZG-E was the Tokyo Motor Show car from 1973, that clear title with "73 240Z" (2+2) is obviously wrong.

And yes, there are those who will insist that indeed is what it is, while intelligent people will rear back and go "uhhhhhhhh, yeeeeeaaahhh!"

A title, is not all everybody is making it out to be, any salvaged can can be "washed"... More common on late models where there is a financial incentive to do so for monetary gain.

As oft repeated, bombastically apparently in some people's eyes, is that there is a point in the age and collector status, or availability of the series where the "type" of title starts to mean very little, if anything. What becomes FAR more important at that point is condition, and DOCUMENTED HISTORY.

Let's see what that appraisal says .... And who admits they were incorrect in their bombast.

Cars with a salvage title are ALWAYS worth significantly less than cars with a clean title. Granted it doesn't take much of an accident to "total" a 42 year old car for insurance purposes. However, a salvage title always carries a stigma no matter how much lipstick you put on a pig.

Dennis

Just to recap and point out the reason my opinion is bombastic. Because absolutist comments are ALWAYS true on the Internet.

Just for the record.

And now, let's wait to,see what that appraisal says...

Just to recap and point out the reason my opinion is bombastic. Because absolutist comments are ALWAYS true on the Internet.

Your comment, "Any intelligent person will take what is on a piece of paper with a grain of salt.."  That says it all, especially as it applies to many of the offers of advice about salvage titles in this thread.

Well said with tongue in cheek.  Unfortunately, the gullible will take what you say as truth.  Here are a couple links from entities who know whereof they speak - unlike some of of the opinions in this thread. They neither shout nor preach. 

http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/what-is-a-salvage-title-vehicle.html

http://www.foxbusiness.com/2011/06/03/5-reasons-to-avoid-salvage-title-cars/

Dennis

Drop it and wait for the appraisal, will ya?

Gullible or not, wait for what the experts say in the real world, on THIS vehicle and not vague generalities.

Both your posts are totally inapplicable. They BOTH specifically address LATE MODEL vehicles.

And now it comes, bombastically: "Any intelligent person reading my posts would see I specifically stated these guidelines about lower value (halving of value in fact, in the case of my then-new Geo Prizim) ONLY apply to late models and NOT antique and collectible vehicles!"

Did you read and comprehend the links you posted

From the first:

"1. Have the vehicle inspected: This is one of the most important things to do if you're considering the purchase of a car with a salvage title. Bring a mechanic with you for an inspection. You might also arrange to take the car to a body shop. A car professional will have a better idea about whether the repairs were done correctly and can spot any red flags, such as frame damage or parts that still need repairing."

A car professional will have a better idea....uh...I think I said that, and said to wait for it rather than making absolutist statements which likely will be proven incorrect in this instance (but what do I know right?)

From the second (don't even have to read past the first line):

"So you're considering buying a LATE MODEL BMW..." But nonetheless further on: "There are occasions that a perfectly good car gets a branded title. A good hailstorm can do thousands of dollars of cosmetic damage, leaving the mechanicals as good as new. A fender-bender can cost more to repair than an old car is worth." (Apparently the case here.) and "These cars are so difficult to value that Kelley Blue Book doesn't provide pricing on them. "There are too many variables and unknowns," says a KBB spokesperson. " meaning GET an appraisal as being fender bender end with documentation may impact the value not one whit! (Been there, seen it firsthand!) and further (another stated reason by many here to not put stock in the salvage title boogeyman): "It's your car -- forever--If you buy a salvage-title car, plan on owning it until the wheels literally fall off." (OP says that is his intent.)

Curiously thy point out exactly what I said about "clean title cars" and taking it "with a grain of salt as well: "Fraud is common

You may be driving a salvage-title car already and not know it. Title washing can make it difficult to determine if your car has been in an accident and rebuilt. ... Large insurance companies take advantage of loopholes as well. In 2006, State Farm settled a lawsuit with 49 state attorneys general after admitting it had resold between 30,000 and 50,000 totaled cars without salvage titles." Oh my! Clean titles on damaged vehicles? SAY IT ISN'T SO!!!

Argh! "Reading is Fundamental"! Please nuance this argument and realize these are NOT "Late Model 370 Nissan Z's"!!! The lowering of LATE MODEL cars' values (they speak of 5% reduction in value, "minimum".... Ooooooh! A whole 5% reduction in value! I guess WHAT car it is DOES make a difference if 5% is a minimum loss and my Prizim was 50% -- kind of making my point,,,thank for posting a link that reinforces what I've been saying all along and flies directly in the face of your statement "ALWAYS significantly less" I know people who would say 5% is floor mat and paint sealer territory! and nowhere near SIGNIFICANT devaluation!) Late model boogeyman are not the OP's concern. It's IN HIS CASE...

And, as appraisal should prove out,,,..totally unwarranted if the documentation he says exists in fact is extant and presented to the appraiser. I know you would rather post Internet links and not wait for the professionals to bear out the price/value of this vehicle....but let's allow that to happen, regardless of how intimidated you are at the fact my bombasts are validated. I know that will bug you, if for no other reason that it will give me a smug smirk and deeply satisfying sense of being right on this point so hotly contested by you for some reason.

Remember, it's not just me who said it wasn't the case, we all will smirk when that appraisal comes in as we expect it to!

Edited by Tony D
  • Like 1