HybridZ

300zx ecu in 280zx

Guest MikeSam

I know some people are running a 300ZXT ECU ('84-'89?) on L28ET's.

What is the advantage of using the 300ZXT ECU over the stock 280ZXT ECU?

Also, besides the ECU what else is required from the 300ZXT? Any specific years better than others?

Thanks,

Mike

One acronym: MAF

Flows better, easier to tune. Mileage is very good too - if someone with a 280ZX factory ECU is doing better than low 20's, I haven't heard. I get 26-27 mpg cruising FAST.

I would think an ECU from any Z31 turbo would work fine. There is rewiring required, especially if you want the fuel pump to be as safe as with a factory car (ie: shuts off when the car stalls).

Guest Ian turbo240

I'm in the process of adapting the entire '85 300ZXT computer and wiring harness with all sensors to my L28ET powered 240Z. The crank angle sensor seems to be the same unit as the later 280ZXT, so that shouldn't be a problem. However, the knock sensor is different, and some wiring mods are needed to make it work. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Ian

I spoke to Clark Steppler over at Jim Wolf and when an owner is doing the 280ZXT ECU swap for a 300 unit, they prefer an '88 or '89 non turbo ECU to re-program for the L28ET cars. He did not get into why that is preferred only that '88 and '89 are digital signal ECUs over the analog signalled ECU on all pre '88 cars and on our L28E and L28ET cars.

I would also like to read or talk to someone who has done the MAF swap as well. Thats next on my never ending "to do" list.

Regards - Yasin

Thanks everyone for the responses.

LEN168, just so I'm clear on this:

You had to break into the ECU to make changes? Physical component changes, programming or both?

Thanks,

Mike