HybridZ

Floor board/frame rail replacement question

Doing Zedd floors/Baddog Rails. I'm doing the prep work and buddy is going to come next friday to officially weld things in. I just pulled out the passenger side pan and want to do the same for the driver side, but I read that it's possibly not advisable. This info came from a how-to/site that had the car on a rotisserie. My car is on stands and completely level front/back and side-to-side. Is the car prone to twisting/sinking without the floors and rails half-hacked off?

Thanks!

I personally welded in cross-braces when I cut out my floor pans just to make sure it didn't shift at all. And I only did one side at a time. So far, no twisting, but I still don't have it back down on wheels. Considering that it's a unibody car, I'm not sure I'd cut out BOTH floorpans, and their connected frame rails without some sort of cross bracing to make sure nothing gets tweaked. Especially since you're never sure what other rust is lurking in places like your rocker panels.

Of course, I also welded on both the replace ment rails that came with the floor pans, AND the bad-dog rails over top of them when I replaced my floors. I tend to over-engineer things however.

At the bare minimum, I would keep one side of the floor in if you are using 4 points in a non stripped car (I.E. not a shell). The rockers could hold the weight with the roof and all, but if you need new floors and rails, the condition of the rocker and dogleg portion may not be quite as strong as you may think. And if the engine is still in, that's quite a lot of weight to be putting on the transmission tunnel and firewall. Dershum's method is very sound, weld in one side, then do the other, if possible spreading out the load bearing points would help alleviate the possibility of warping. There is a pretty good outline by JohnC on how to go about floor replacement in the fabrication section I believe.