HybridZ

Charging system problems. 18+ volts.

Connor280ZX

I'm driving along this morning and my dash lights start to flicker. Then they stay on. I look over to the volt meter, and the needle is in the red zone with the warning light on. I push the clutch in to let the engine idle and the voltage goes back to normal. I try coasting the car to work as much as I can to avoid blowing up the battery. If the engine speed is raised above 2000 Rpm, the gauge pins itself. Alternator was replaced 4 months ago. Battery connections are very tight.

I've had a problem like this before, but the voltage would drop. Replaced the alternator and it stopped. Now there's this. What do you guys think?

post-29938-0-05359200-1390339877_thumb.jpg

The regulator in your alternator might bad.  Alternators fail in different ways.  Or the S(ense) wire might have become disconnected.  Check at the alternator T plug to make sure it sees battery voltage.  I've had the L wire loose contact at the T plug before, a wiggle and some contact cleaner and it was back to normal.