HybridZ

Max HP on stock engine

Guest Simon

G'Day guys

I am now thinking about doingup my L28 in my 260z due to lack of funds.

My ideas are turbo and EFI

any one know what the max hp you can get from a l28 with stock internals....can i safley get about 250 at the wheels

Cheers for any advise

Simon

With the h.p. # you are looking for and the "lack of funds", I would suggest the L28 turbo. It is more cost effective to swap in a turbo engine and electronics than building the n/a up to what you are looking for. 250 rwhp shouldn't be too hard w/ the stock turbo, but as formentioned, you will need intercooler, exhaust, maybe injectors,and a method of turning up the boost (like a bleeder valve or adjustable actuator rod on the wastegate).

3L240, I guess I didn't show you what's under the hood now. I finally installed the 3X2bbl 44mm carbs. Most definitely improved high-rpm performance. I feel I could conceivably get to 250 rwhp, but the powerband is currently at 4500+. For all-around performance, a turbo would probably be a better choice. 250 rwhp N/A would definitely be a powerband compromise, but the sex appeal of having a 6-trumpet calliope under the hood is undeniable (though they're usually covered with the air filter).

I was just about to jump in there and burst his bubble on your carbs, but you beat me to it.

For all around power and driveability, you cannot beat the fuel injected turbo engine. I have been dealing with my 260 with fits of anger, and have wondered why in the heck I bothered with SU's when I could have fuel injected it.

You have to choke it to start it, it doesn't like to idle until it is warm, and I swear the mixture adjustment isn't working on one of them. I should be running better than I am, and I have to rule out the carbs before moving on.

Of course if I had 3 two's, then I would be in a different situation entirely. They sound sweet and have nice throttle response.

Turbo it and never look back. You won't be sorry.

Cubes or turbo on the street. If it's a race car, it doesn't matter, except for longevity and dollars spent. For the street, I'd hate to have to be at 4500+ to feel thrust, and anything with that kind of powerband is going to be expensive to build and wear out or break because of the high rpms needed to make it GO.

Turbo L6 is the cheapest way.

JMO,