HybridZ

Shipping an engine

Josh280z

The way I shipped stuff was I built a small cradle so put the engine on. The oilpan would sit in the middle and supported by the sides. Then put that on a small pallet then strap it down. Can use 1 x 4 or 2 x 4, whatever is scrap and handy to you. That is if the entire engine is in one piece. Make sure all fluids are drained out.

As for shippers, I think Uship bids it out. I shipped via FedEx and UPS freight before some heavy items but they cost a pretty penny through them. Find a buddy who works in a shop or warehouse and see if they can get you a discount shipping using one of their preferred carriers. Also it costs more if you have them pickup and they have to use a liftgate. Last time I shipped something that large, I used my work place since I had access to a forklift and dock, it saved me over $100.

Hope it helps, think others may have more info for you.

My coworker got an engine shipped  to him several years ago by Forward Air. They are actually a trucking company that ships from airport to airport. The engine would have to be dropped off at their location and then picked up from their location at the destination. He said it was cheapest by a lot if you were able to drop it off and pick it up.