HybridZ

Electric water pump update

jeffp

I everyone, well I have been trying to get a company to make a reliable electric water pump for our cars as I think it would be an excellent addition for an upgrade with an electric fan.

I first contacted Moroso and they were not interested in doing a unit for our engines. The customer service guy suggested an external pump for the car. I also found another company that did an external unit, but I really did not like all of the hardware that was involved, and I would have to machine a plate for the front of the block anyway.

I was at the Orange Co car show a number of weeks ago and found another manufacturer of electric water pumps, a company named CSI electric water pumps.

I decided to give them a call and discuss a pump for our cars. I bought their general pump that is used in many of their applications and took it apart. The motor is a very good unit, and it is made here in the USofA and I really liked that also.

In talknig with the customer srevice guy there I asked if they could do a pump for our application and he said they would be willing to give it a shot. I sent him a front cover and pump today, so we will see how far that goes with them. I really hope they will do a pump, it will be such a killer upgrade with a new aluminum cross flow radiator for my car and everyone else.

I asked about how long thet would last and the guy has one on his car for about two years now as hid daily driver with no problems at all. That sounds like it will fit the bill for me.

So I'm crossing my fingers that they will do a pump for the Nissan engines, it will look so cool, and keep a good amount of flow. The pump as it is now flows about 35 gallons a minute and that should be more then enough flow for our cars. that is about it now.

jeffp smile.gif

How about getting a Davies Electrical Water pump? Looks pretty simple to bolt on and is an easier solution to waiting for CSI to come up with something, get it approved, and then get it on the market. I use their electric on my chevy engine myself.

Owen

Guest JAMIE T

I have a CSI pump on my LT1 in my Camaro. They are designed for continuous service. I've had mine on my car for a couple of months. I think they flow somethiong like 37-40gpm. FWIW, that is about what most factory waterpumps flow.

Guest 280Tom'z

hey there is a elec water pump in the new summit cat. for imports that gos between the engine and raditor that would work and all you gotta do is either unhook the stock or get a plate made. i might try it

There is a unit available in the UK through the Demon-Tweeks catalog that is of particular interest, as it has a logic controller, and uses coolant temperature to vary the speed of the pumping unit for use without a thermostat.

It goes in the lower radiator hose. Looks interesting, and several sizes were available depending on HP of the application. For the life of me, I can't remember the name now, nor can I locate my latest Demon-Tweeks Catalog. BAH!

I found a similar site in Australlia, they have an electronic controller to vary the speed of the pump. Sounded like a good setup. I did talk to the guy about a variable voltage input and that is not a problem for the motor at all.

Really I am trying to keep this as cheap and non intrusive to the engine compartment as possible. I just dont want to run all the hoses and I dont want to screw with making a adapter for the front of the engine.