HybridZ

Cable X Speedometer Box Location for LS1, 4L60E 240z

Guys,

The build is getting closer.  Bad Dog sub-frame connectors are burned in, just waiting for warmer weather so I can seal everything up w/ POR15 on the inside/outside of the floor pans and install the suspension/interior.

What's a good location for the speedo box?  I'm considering mounting the box under the driver's seat.  Thought I would jump ahead with the speedo box wiring/mounting plans while I wait for warm weather.  Is the Cable X unit quiet?  I've never used one before.

post-25803-0-37703100-1391659500_thumb.jpg

Honestly, I would ditch the cable X and get a GPS speedo. I have the cableX and mounted it on my firewall using a couple of 1/4" bolts to secure it. It is between the throttle ordeal and the heater. It's a bitch to get to and while I have the power to it and the cable installed, I haven't ever finished programming and adjusting it. It's just such a pain to get under the dash. Next winters project is speedhut gauges and I will toss the cable X. Be careful not to drill a hole thru your brake booster if you mount it where I did. I only missed the booster by a few mm.

Speed hut GPS is sweet! I have it and it takes less than a minute then it is good to go. Can keep 1/4 mile times and 0-60 times etc... Easy install and no drilling. Ihiryu on hybridz has discounts, lookup the group buy thread. Good luck with whichever way you go

• 4 weeks later...

I've been running a CableX box in my 280Z28 for 10 years now and it still works fine.  It sometimes is a little lazy coming off 0 when I first start out but then it pops up and works fine.  I mounted mine behind the driver footwell kick panel where the old 280Z ECU used to be.  Wrapped it in one layer of foam to keep it from rattling around and reduce noise.  Evidently that works because I've never heard it when I'm driving.  Then again an LS1 isn't all that quiet and the 500 watt sound system also makes it difficult to hear much of anything. :-)

Edited by Phantom