HybridZ

Which LSD?

richie2619

I'm brand new on here and my search skills aren't that good. I have a 78 280 with a 96 LT1 that I installed in 02. Anyway, I've pretty much excluded the idea of an OBX.

The Quaife QDF7L looks like the best option but I can get a KAAZ SBN2655 for about $200 less.

I'm aware of the bolt diameter difference and I'm in touch with a machine shop who's given me some interesting options.

1. use a custom bolt with a 12mm shoulder with 10mm threaded portion.

2. drill and tap my ring gear for 12mm, or

3. Make 12mm to 10mm bushing to take up the space. If the work costs more than the price difference between the KAAZ and the Quaife, I guess the latter would be the best choice, since it gives the option of 12 or 10mm bolt diameters. I guess the only other thing I need to know is, which would be better for the street. I plan to do some recreational racing at a local track (road course). But the car will be used mostly as a nasty little daily driver.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If the car is mostly a street car, I would use a VLSD.  So long as both tires are on surfaces with equal traction and your front tires are pointed straight, you really don't even need a LSD-if traction is equal side to side, both wheels will turn.  There is a NOS-equipped 280z on this website that runs 9s in the 1/4 with an open diff.

Edited by RebekahsZ

I saw some JDM VLSDs on ebay for pretty good prices compared to new after-market models. Yikes! The OS Giken is pretty high compared to the KAAZ CLSD. The main reason I'm drawn to the Quaife helical, is the optional bolt holes to fit my ring gear and people seem to be impressed with how smoothly they operate. I'm happy with the 3.54:1 that's in my car. (I have a top speed fetish). I need to research axle spline-count and diameter. I'm not broke but I ain't rich either. Thank you for your help.