HybridZ

Datsun Spirit Build vs Swap

I am new to this forum but I wanted to see what some of you think.  I have a 77 280z (Auto) and I'm looking for a car that is fun to drive and has nice acceleration (0-60).  It doesn't have to be a top speed monster, just looking for some get up and go.

My question is should I do a rebuild like

1) the "Datsun Spirit STR2.8B"  http://datsunspirit.com/?page_id=511#strb

STR2.8B Base Price: $3,250

or

2) A swap like the l28et.

Those two swaps will have completely different driving characteristics. I'm in the same situation - I have an L28ET on a stand, and a mild NA L28 in the car. It sounds fantastic, and having the power instantly on tap is great. IMO it makes the car seem much more raw and responsive. I don't know what kind of power I'm making but I'd guess around 220HP at the crank, and it feels pretty quick - and I haven't even gotten to open it up yet.

Personally, I think I'm going to end up selling the L28ET. Although there's less power potential, I think the NA motor will end up being much more fun to drive. That said, I'd step up to the STR2.8C if you can afford it.

Edited by rturbo 930

I dont think there is any question about Eiji's reputation or build quality.  That being said, price starts there but you need to consider the cost of all the add-on's to take full advantage of a well sorted NA motor.  EFI/Carbs, Header and exhaust, and solid ignition.  All depends on how much you want to spend.  Not saying that you wont spend a fair amount going with the L28et, but the initial base cost will likely be substantially lower...and you'll get more bang for your buck.

Personally though, I prefer NA.  Might not be the fastest, but it just suits me more.

Edited by T-Bone028

This will definitely be an ongoing project, but its starting to look like Eiji is the way I want to go.  I plan on doing header, exhaust, but I am unsure between EFI/Carbs.  Do you guys have any advice between the two.  I'm trying to plan everything out before I start.  A lot of work has been done to the breaks and fuel tank already as well as interior.  For some reason they put primer over the original paint.  Here are some picutres.

image_2.jpeg

image_4.jpeg

image_3.jpeg

image_5.jpeg

image_8.jpeg

image_7.jpeg

image_6.jpeg

image_9.jpeg

Hey hey, I'm not saying that Spirit doesn't do a good job, or that they're overpriced or anything for what you get. It's obvious from the pictures you need a new motor, but you can build your own and get close to those numbers.  By playing with block/head combos you can tailor your compression ratio. (somewhere on here there's a link to an L28 Calculator that's pretty cool)  But if you aim for the 9.6:1 +/- you'll be pretty happy and safe on pump gas.  there's a variety of pistons you could use, but the flat top from the 81-83 should be fine. You could possibly use ones from an S13 or similar, (I think there's a list of different ones)   Machining is a good idea just to make sure everything is flat and clean. A copper HG is often used, but not really required if you're staying NA. There's a lot of Cam options too.  It's how much do you want to do yourself, and what your checkbook looks like.

Here's a good informational FAQ on the subject: http://www.zhome.com/rnt/L28conversion/3031FAQ.html

As for fuel, If it was me I'd be going with Megasquirt and EFI. It's MAP based so it's response is a little better than the stock Bosch system, but the real difference is how smooth it runs on Megasquirt.  It's night and day how much better.  

A few more things,  Since you're not looking for a really high top end, Consider swapping to a 5 speed from that Auto, and going with a slightly lower ratio in your Differential. This way you will be able to put a little more of those horses to the ground.  An LSD would be even better. Under 300hp, the Subi LSD diff would be great.  There's others too like the helical LSDs that aren't as common.  That opens the halfshafts and axles can of worms tho. 

Again you need a new engine, so you're at a good point to decide where you want to put the $.  Upgrading accessories like the Alt and distrib can also help your HP, but 160-200 isn't unreasonable NA.

Edited by Pharaohabq

No way I'd pay that much when there's better options for much, much less.

Man that looks good.  Now I see why people go back and forth on swapping.  Great performance and looks out of a L28 is expensive

I've been doing some research on ITB options for my own build, and from what I've read, these are the ones to go with: http://www.jenvey.co.uk/

You're looking at around $1100 for 3 DCOE style throttle bodies, plus a Cannon (or similar) manifold for carbs which you can get used.

I picked this motor up locally a couple weeks ago because my motor had a hole in the block when I got the car.  Thought it could hold me over until I was ready.  My original plan was to do a v8 swap but the more I research the more it seems pointless considering I don't need or want more than 275hp.  I dont have the skills to do more than very basic swapping of parts so labor is a factor in my build.  A friend of mine is currently pulling the old motor and swapping this one in for $250

Paid $200.  http://greenville.craigslist.org/pts/4291221787.html

6524E52A-4981-4342-882C-AFE820AEB336.jpg

No way I'd pay that much when there's better options for much, much less.

I've been doing some research on ITB options for my own build, and from what I've read, these are the ones to go with: http://www.jenvey.co.uk/

You're looking at around $1100 for 3 DCOE style throttle bodies, plus a Cannon (or similar) manifold for carbs which you can get used.

Beautiful, those are some nice TBs!

NA all the way. With that said, the Motor you are considering will have a CR ~ 10:1 to 10.5:1 - from my experience that's marginal as far as detonation/pinging goes. There are ways to get around this with time & patience, but don't be suprised if you see this issue. With a header, 2.5" exhaust & SU's you will be looking at ~ 170 rhp. The R200(3.9) & the 280ZX (late) 5T IMO will have an even more profound effect than the Motor swop.

I've only seen Extrudabody ITBs on a Z, don't know much about ITBs in general and am not that interested in them for my car.

Just saw on the Carcast episode with Adam Carolla and the Singer 911 that Jenvey ITBs were used on that car which is an insanely nice build.  it probably doesn't hurt the main individual at Singer is presumably form the UK.

I picked this motor up locally a couple weeks ago because my motor had a hole in the block when I got the car.  Thought it could hold me over until I was ready.  My original plan was to do a v8 swap but the more I research the more it seems pointless considering I don't need or want more than 275hp.  I dont have the skills to do more than very basic swapping of parts so labor is a factor in my build.  A friend of mine is currently pulling the old motor and swapping this one in for $250

Paid $200.  http://greenville.craigslist.org/pts/4291221787.html

That should do fine for your purposes.  200+$250 install should get you back on the road and zooming along.  It's not high performance, but I think you'll be quite happy with it.   Later if you decide you can build up another engine to swap it all out with.   Since you're going to have the engine out, you might consider replacing your clutch while you're at it.  Who knows how the old clutch was holding up, but it's a lot easier while the engine is out.  also check the teeth on the flywheel ring.   I think you're going to be happy.  More power can come later if you need it.