HybridZ

280z 75-76 149 Hp then 77-* engine mod increase to 170hp?

Just curious was reading something on Black Dragon Auto about 75 Zs and they said this.

260Z: Front and rear bumpers were enlarged to meet Federal 5 mph regulations, adding about 130 pounds. Turn signals mounted above front bumper. By midyear, the 260 was replaced by 280Z. 280Z: To meet tougher emissions standards, a 3 mm bore increase raised engine displacement to 2,753 cc, 2.8 liters, producing 149 horsepower. BOSCH's L-Jetronic fuel injection replaced SU carburetors on all models. Transmission and differential gear ratios were changed. California models required a catalytic converter exhaust system. 280Z model was only sold in the US.

1977 Engine modifications raised horsepower to 170. 5 speed manual overdrive was available. Bumpers were enlarged again.

Curious to what the engine mod was? Or is this a misprint?? I'm pretty sure the badge on my car say 170hp

I'm pretty sure it was actually the way in which they measured the horsepower that changed.  I seem to remember reading something about that, but I'm no expert.  The only thing I can think of outside of that is a different head and/or better use of smog equipment, but that's a pretty major change so I can't imagine what could have changed that.  Interested to hear what the experts have to say. 

There were a few changes in.the 1970s with how manufactures measured horsepower here in the US. Part of the compliance steps for the Clean Air Act. Nissan probably also picked up power thorough refinements in the ECU and other engine changes.

Meaning is in the mind of the person thinking.  You're overlooking also, that past work may be available that could now be shared via the internet.  Us poor folk have to collect our scraps of power where we can so knowing that the F54/P79 design can create more or less power than the N42/N42 or N47 would be a helpful starting point.

Plus it's always helpful to know what the engineers achieved with their changes.  It just makes a person smarter.  Or at least gives that feeling.

Edited by NewZed