HybridZ

STI diff question

malibud

Ok I have my sti diff an 04' 3.9 CLSD . there is a diff build in my town who does a lot of these . He says that he can rebuild it and change the angle so that the wheels lock up sooner . I did some searching I think stock is 40 degress maybe change it to 60 . Does anyone have any experience with this setup what changes did you make and how did you like it ?  . I am running a 72 240' zx 5 speed , w/ an open 3.9 diff. .... Eventually go with a l28et set up

thanks

From my research , and my thinking (pardon) My HP is not that of a stock STI so my wheels would lock up later kinda-of negating the whole reason for the LSD swap. With both wheels spinning sooner I could acheieve quicker bottom end and better handling . I have some bigger sway bars that i think would help with the understeering and the rearend slide . 

Without knowing the lockup percent of the STI diff, the lockup torque of the STI diff, the horsepower and torque curve of either engine, and the traction provided by the tires, how can you determine the lockup rate and total percent for the 4 cylinder turbo STI engine and your 6 cylinder NA L6?

Having cut the ramps on a couple BMW diffs and tuned a few OS Giken diffs for customers you need a lot more information before figuring you know more then the engineers that designed these units.  The ramp cuts I did to the BMW diffs were at the request of the customer and resulted in no change in course times and a slightly more difficult car to drive.

I will talk with the builder some more . He said not to cut the ramp ?( if  I can remember he said it would make the front end plow and would be hard to drive )  But to increase the torque (I believe) . He said that from the factory they are not torque enough (or come on soon enough ) . I might just stick with stock save the $200 a try it out. Thats why I was kinda feeling it out if anybody had made any adjustments before installing .

Thanks for the info

I've got a thread here on shimming the breakaway torque on a similar R200 LSD. It's not hard to do, but I wouldn't do it just because your car makes less power than an STi. Coffey is right, there are MANY variables to consider, and for most people it's not going to make a huge difference, and shimming will only make it more likely to chatter which some people really don't like. My $.02, run it and if you still get inside wheel spin, then worry about changing it.

Edited by JMortensen