HybridZ

Swap z32 transmission on 280zx ?

clear2me

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello

Thank you for all

I email Mazworx and these said :-

The Z32 trans offsets the shifter about 1" to the left and about 2" back. I am not too sure where it will sit in a 280zx chassis

Any one sure where the shifter will sit ?

Any photos?

Thank you

The 280Z and 280ZX used the same transmissions.  Problems in the 280Z will probably be the same in a 280ZX.  You might have less space in the transmission tunnel with a 280ZX though, so the two inch move might be take some hammer work.  ZX's seem generally more cramped for space than the Z's, by eye, although I've never had a ZX so don't know for sure.  You will probably be the first to do this swap.  Good luck.

Read these:

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/111158-my-cheap-z32rb26-tranny-shifter-bracket/

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/47599-z32-tranny-install-writeup/

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/101735-z32-transmission-adapter-kits-for-l28/

It's not a big deal. The two have similarly spaced floor holes, but the exact same transmission.

The ZX had a shifter that went STRAIGHT UP --- no bend at all and it will hit when used on the earlier 280Z.

The 280Z had a shifter that had a 'lazy S-Bend' in it to move it back towards the driver somewhat and clear the front of the shifter hole in that chassis.

I would say the only thing you are going to need to do is offset the shifter to the left by a small bend or adjustment of the shifter assembly you use (aftermarket shifters use segmented shafts held together with bolts so you can move the lever to suit where you want it.)

As for actual placement, the actual shifter hole position in the transmission in a 280Z is slightly forward biased (hence the curved shaft). In the 280ZX it's almost dead center of the floor hole. 

So with that... you will see that the hole in the floor is pretty big, and moving the shifter position physically 25mm left, and 50mm back in a hole that's something like 100-125mm X 150mm is not a big deal. I think you will actually have plenty of clearance without doing anything. At most a shifter adjustment.

When swapping the ZX tranny into a 280/240 you can torch heat the Straight ZX shifter and bend it to approximate the same as the earlier models shape. That is always an option for placement. 

If he's referring to the early 240Z hole...and not like a later 73-78 260/280Z hole... then the shifter will be slightly left and almost centered front to back in the ZX chassis.

If you can follow that all! I don't have a photo of the shifter on anything in the iPad right now, or I could enclose photos for you.