HybridZ

Will 15x10 ~5" Backspace clear suspension?

Hmm, probably not, but more info is needed.

What car? 240-280z, or 280zx?

The tein made to order coil overs? or tein coil overs from another make and model?

The standard size people shoot for in an s30 is a 9.5 wide -19 with flares. A 10 wide +1 will be about 26mm closer to the suspension. Factory spring perch is a little over 4 inches wide, if you are referring to the s30 specific kit I believe they use their standard coil over spring which is ~3.5 inches or so with the perch/locking ring being ~3.75 inches from my recollection. If you can clear the locking ring you may be able to fit the 10 wide +1. If the locking ring ends up close to the tire or lower then you may not have enough clearance to run those wheels without spacers. 

Once you fit the suspension, measure the distance to the face of the hub. Subtract 1/2 an inch to an inch to account for rim lip width from that value and that should help your wheel selection.

Oh I forgot.

It's a 73 240z with made to order coilover http://www.tein.co.jp/spd/spd_search.cgi?id=130205-4S&lang=en and the wheels will be 15x?? Work Equip 03. The width will vary with the outcome to this thread. My problem as non-american is, I can't legally use wheels with negative offset, spacers included.

While I am asking for clearence.. would 15x9,5 +1 fit? It's quite annoying I can't measure it yet, the coilover takes ages...

As I read people run wheels with 4,5" backspace with stock suspension...

Edited by Ereschkigal

Goodness that is a good chunk of change right there.

Without knowing the exact height that the coilover collar will be sitting, it will be a bit difficult to fully commit to an answer. If the collar sits above the rim then you could run a thinner tire to get some clearance, if it runs at or below the lip, you are going to have to have the correct offset. I would say better safe then sorry and either wait until they arrive, or just order something towards the safer size, there isn't any real benefit of running the rim closer to the strut if you are planning on running flares, you have quite a bit of room to move in the other direction.

Yes, in general people with stock suspension are limited to ~4.5 inches of back spacing with a small margin of safety. For a lot of rims though there is a hidden depth, such as some 8 inch rim are actually 9 inches wide lip to lip meaning a 15x8+0 will actually have closer to 4.5 inches of backspacing. The front spring is actually a bit wider if recollection serves maybe around ~4.5 so the spring perch at around 4.75 to 5 inches is pretty large, so you can run a bit more backspacing with coilovers, but the rear is already on the thinner side at under 4 inches, so a coilover setup may not get quite as much clearance.

So if we apply the same logic to the wheels you are looking at, a 15x10+1 will actually have roughly 5.5 inches of backspacing which is very very much near the accepted maximum one can run without spacers on coilovers. A 15x9.5+1 will be roughly 5.25 inches of backspacing so a little more breathing room there, but still fairly on the close side. Depending on your tire make it can run a little wider than you may realize thus having a bit of safety is not a bad idea, granted 245 on a 9.5-10 inch rim will have a bit of stretch going on.

There was a local guy that I almost bought wheels from who was running 15x10 + 48 using the stock datsun studs as a spacer using a spacer adapter on welded in tein coilovers. I think I calculated it and it was something like 15x10 +15 or 20, but I definitely walked away from them because it would have required some massive spacers to run properly. He swore they didn't rub, but I really didn't want to stick around to check.

Really though I would say it is much much better to err towards 4.5 inch. You can run quite a bit more offset especially with flares, and there really isn't any benefit to being so far inboard.

You could also shoot tein an e-mail and ask. I'm sure they would be able to answer the question.

Thanks so far.

The problem is, zero offset is the maximum I can do to get away from the springs otherwise it would be easy to fit wheels...The 245 tire shouldn't be a problem on the 10" rim. But it looks like I have to wait for the coilover to measure what will fit.... If someone has some handy experience, I would be glad.

I think they will be ok, but ya just never know.  My 15x10s have tons of clearance to the coilever area.

The limiting factor for me up front is the tie-rod (probably due to the roll center spacer).

To get full travel clearance I had to cut A LOT of the rear end.

Tj

Is there a reason that 0 is the maximum?

The work equip wheels that you want are usually custom order, and the last time I checked they do come in negative offsets. And if you chose to sell them it would probably be easier to unload them in the z community with negative offset. Would be easier to unload in the miata community closer to 0 offset.

Waiting to check is not a bad idea. It would be unfortunate if you ordered a custom set and they didn't quite fit.

I from Germany and we have.... I would call it national regulations. We have to register every change we make and it has to bee checked by the "TÃœV". For everything lower than zero offset (-1 to -50) you need a very very expensive expertise (about 15.000$). If you don't care for the TÃœV you will lose you insurance and driving permission for the car on legal roads when it comes to an accident or stopped by the police.

I knew it was strict over there, but wow no negative offset wheels? I know that you aren't allowed  to run wheels that poke out past the fenders in some states over here, but that can be solved with a flare.

Does this just apply to the stamp on the wheel? As in can you use spacers to get negative offset?

Looks like you may just have to wait and maximize your width, or else the wheel is going to look pretty sunken in.

It's going to be a tight squeeze but you should be able to JUST fit. I have a set of Watanbe's 15x10 -5 as well in the rear. At least you're planning on running flares, im planning to fit under stock fenders with a simple roll ahaha. My fronts are 15x9.5 -13 so i cant really help you on that one lol

haha My reason is, I want the fender flares so much!

Front will differ, I need to measure first but I think 15x9 +0 or 15x9,5 +0. Here I am more concerned with the tire.

Could you please take pictures of the clearence in the back?

Edited by Ereschkigal

Oops It should've been "I have ordered a set" buuuut anyway. Here is a pic of a guy with 15x10 -29 and has about 1 3/8" clearance http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/58528-wheel-show-post-your-pics-of-you-wheels/?p=1069875

If you do the math and nothing else is wrong with the car to totally make it incorrect then you should JUST fit :)