HybridZ

Fox body mustang gas tank

I met a gentleman back in 2001, when I 1st pieced together my JTR installation. He owned a hot-rod/fab shop and he was driving his V8-Z.

He did all of his own work, without the benefit of a kit and he really got my attention. (I had absolutely no welding experience at that time!)

Anyway, what really grabbed me, was that he had mufflers on BOTH sides of his gas tank. (Much like a C-3 Corvette). He told me it was from a mustang and it was an easier adjustment to center it in the car.

I'm not comfortable with the idea of fueling my car in the space that I'll be occupying, so I'm really not interested in mounting a fuel cell that I have to open the hatch to fill.

It was a long time ago and I have no idea how to find this man and I've never seen another car set up that way.

Has anyone here heard of, or tried this installation?

My garage is almost set up to go to work. (My lovely new bride still has a lot of stuff that's on it's way to storage!) LOL! And I'm ready to bring my car back to life!

P.S. Check the similarities in these tanks!post-43128-0-16312500-1394437126_thumb.jpgpost-43128-0-60062500-1394437148_thumb.jpg

Edited by richie2619

I'm going to keep researching this but here's what I remember.

The tanks are nearly the same width but the hump on the Mustang tank is narrow enough, that it can be centered in the car.

He had to make a new filler hose, that connected the factory opening to the new tank.

There wasn't a lot of room, horizontally but there was a lot vertically.

He used a couple of cheap, summit-brand, turbo mufflers and turned them on end.

He also took two Z cross members, cut one just to the right differential mount and one just to the left of it. welded the two together so he had matching exhaust cut outs.

Brand new repro mustang tanks (with fuel pump and float-sending unit), are half the price of a reconditioned Datsun tank!

Good luck to anyone who's interested.

Let us know what you find.

Rich

Not to be a party pooper, but....

Having done a stock LS swap, I wish I had handled the fuel tank differently. I have a stock tank with an external pump and a custom in-tank sump. I wish I had bought a narrower plastic tank with either internal or external pump and an internal sump. The narrower tank would give more room for exhaust, relocated battery and structural things like a trailer hitch or chute or rear diffuser (even if just for looks). I would also try to set up the mounting so I could drop the tank in from the trunk rather than pushing it up from underneath (sucks). It's bad enough having to do heavy diff and tranny work from underneath (if I could figure a way around that I sure would). When I did mine, I was thinking that it was real important to have a spare tire (I'm dating myself back to the days when tires got flats frequently), but I never carry a floor jack (and the little Datsun jack is just great for destroying rocker panels), so that was kind of a bust. Cut out your spare tire well and be done with it.