HybridZ

Door lock mechanism part - 75Z

Serban

No idea what it's called, but there is a spring that keeps the tension on the door lock knob rod. My driver's side door does not have it, so when I unlock the door and pull the key out, the knob goes right back down, there's no tension on it to keep it up. So I have to unlock the door, and keep the key twisted in the lock while I pull the handle to open the door. 

It becomes annoying when you're carrying stuff in one hand and you need to use both to open the door. 

If anyone has the lock assembly out of a door, I'd be able to identify it. All of the exploded diagrams I've seen don't show it.

Sounds more like your door lock mechanism is gummed up or needs adjustment.  It toggles, and yours sounds like it's not making it over-center.  Mine were both pretty gummed up from lack of use, and had similar symptoms to yours.  Some hosing of the mechanisms with WD-40 from inside the door and working it by hand cleaned it up.  I don't think that there is a spring that can be replaced to fix it.

Doesn't look like it's showing in the picture. The one I'm talking about is almost like a scissor spring (if that's even a real thing), and when the two rods cross it puts tension on them.

Guess the best thing to do is swap them from one door to the other. I was just trying to avoid doing the work twice.

I'll post up a picture tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got a chance to pull the door lock mechanism out. 

Here you can see part of that spring broke off. The other piece is supposed to go in the other hole.

47E022D5-6693-485C-A66D-7EAEE198685A_zps

This is the whole thing if anyone has a spare one they could part with

BF438226-9E63-431B-B5B3-F28F2A42076F_zps

In the meantime, this was my simple, yet effective solution. I drilled a hole in the door and ran a zip tie, to hold the rod, and put a little tension on it. It's just enough to keep it from falling down and locking on its own. I had to adjust the zip tie a few times though. If its too tight, when you unlock the door with the key, it is not enough to let the rod move all the way up. 

725FCF3C-9FD7-4D39-B103-07A48991995B_zps

Edited by Serban