HybridZ

Ok , how much boost will a built L28et handle ?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I plan on coating the rods and crank, and will have the rods prepped this along with forged pistons. How much boost will this engine handle ? Is there anything else i can do to make sure it handles enuff boost to get o 11's ? Metal head gasket ? Head studs ? o-ring block ? are all of these worth the time and money is there anything else i can do ?? remember i want to get there on Turbo alone : ) thanx !

A stock L28ET will handle nearly anything you can throw at it. They will routinely support 23-25psi STOCK. The key is NO DETONATION. Intercool it and supply enough fuel, and supply it well. There is no real limit on boost - you may need to build the engine to handle the horsepower and the peak cylinder pressure, but the only mods necessary to run 11's involve thermal management - IC, fuel. High performance coatings on the pistons should reduce the risk of detonation, forgies are nice, but I'm not sure how necessary this is, not for 11s.

What is rod and crank coating? Magnaflux them and stress relieve them, maybe balance them, but a coating? IMO, head studs are a good thing :D , but O-ringing does not seem necessary when a metal head gasket is available.

Search the archives on this subject of "how much boost" and you will find it beat to death.

Originally posted by SleeperZ:

A stock L28ET will handle nearly anything you can throw at it. They will routinely support 23-25psi STOCK.

Reliably? I doubt that. Is there anybody here that is truly running that kind of boost on cast pistons that is still on their first set? Personally, I wouldn't recommend running much more than 12psi on the stock cast pistons.

Originally posted by TimZ:

quote:

Originally posted by SleeperZ:

A stock L28ET will handle nearly anything you can throw at it. They will routinely support 23-25psi STOCK.
Reliably? I doubt that. Is there anybody here that is truly running that kind of boost on cast pistons that is still on their first set? Personally, I wouldn't recommend running much more than 12psi on the stock cast pistons.

I think Shane is carrying his weight around here and he can answer to that. Lockjaw as well. I run 15 psi on stock injectors (to the tune of 250-260 rwhp), and haven't broken anything yet.

The point is, and I've said it many times, so have many others, BOOST AND POWER LEVEL DO NOT BREAK TURBO ENGINES, DETONATION BREAKS ENGINES.

All of my experience to date speaks to this. I'm sticking to that story.

I have run 20 psi (T4 V trim) on a complete stock L28 turbo bottom end with factory cast pistons. I have used it only for road racing for the last 6 or so years so it does get a hard work out. You can waste your money on coatings for cast pistons and magna fluxing rods but it is not nessecary. I keep the revs under 7200 rpm with an accidental 7800 according to the tell tale form the last run and have only had problems with crank pulleys. Forged pistons are better but I have managed with out them. If you detonate with a cast piston it will break though, I've killed a few with too much timing at 10 psi. Don't let it knock.

Okay, perhaps I was reading more into the original post than I should have, but staying with cast pistons implies "on a budget", which implies not being able to afford the kinds of things required to run 23-25 psi without detonation on pump gas.

Also, the questions being asked led me to believe that the experience level was low. Nothing wrong with that - everybody is inexperienced to start off. But inexperience generally leads to some mistakes being made on the way to gaining experience.

The margin for error at those boost levels with the stock cast pistons is pretty thin. Yes, if you never detonate, they probably won't break, but I seriously doubt that a first-timer is going to have much luck avoiding detonation on his way to 11 second quarter mile times.

When you consider the time, money and trouble required to pull the motor and replace a set of broken cast pistons just once, the forged ones don't look so expensive.

I'll stick with my recommendation, thank you very much.

Guest Anonymous

Like i said i would coat the rods and crank and go with forged pistons. But is there any other "fortifying" to maintain the HP level needed to get into the low 11's and maybe 10's Thanx for the info given tho.