HybridZ

LS exhaust sound clips

My setup is similar to Slow78z's:

Sanderson headers to dual 2.5" all the way back just past the trans then Y into a 3" the rest of the way into a borla muffler. Mine is a tuned stock as a rock 5.3L (for now). I'll get more videos up soon but on YouTube I have a video as I'm backing out of the muffler shops garage. Search "280z 5.3 TR6060 New Exhaust" and bidhigh15 is my handle there.

I wish there was something as loud and deep as a Flowmaster at idle that didnt make your head hurt on a road trip. You really need to hear a muffler at rpm. I just learned the hard way that a roll bar can act as a sound transmission device to locate ALL the differential gear whine that used to be on the floor of the car to a location directly behind one's head. Suddenly the whine of a fiture dog-ring gearbox doesn't seem so undesirable.

One other thing to think about. Most sanctioned road courses and many autocross clubs are starting to use dB meters to keep cars quiet. At my local SCCA facility, I have to get off the gas as I go past the dB meter or they send me home. That is with a 12" long oval Borla XR 3" straight thru turbo muffler. If I get more sound warnings this season, I'm putting an external accessory muffler on my car that will be like 36" long and as big as a garbage can.

Socorob - Here's my experience... I helped a buddy put the hush powers on his '10 SS and they sound great (mellow, deep tone). I put a single cat back flow master (delta flow i believe) on my brother in law's '99 T/A and it sounds good too. I had a set of flow masters on a 2006 corvette and I liked the tone but they were a little loud for me (drone) on long highway trips after adding headers, cam, X pipe etc.. I bought the hush power muffler for the 240 because I like the sound of the hush power with out the drone of the older flowmasters. Not sure how the single 3" will sound on the 240 but will find out in the next 2 mos. The 3" hush power is small enough to fit in the stock z location.

I had a drone at 2500 rpm with my first exhaust (same as in the clip) but it did not have a resonator.  I forgot to mention that the setup in the clip has a resonator.  

Following is a clip of my first exhaust without the resonator.  You can hear that it is a bit louder at idle.

Take the claims of poor flow with a grain of salt.  Unless there is proven dyno comparisons people are only comparing flow bench numbers like magazine racers.

Even so, unless you are trying to eek out every last bit of power, who cares if you lose a little bit of flow?  Go for the sound you like.

I researched my setup for hours and finally decided on the Flowmaster because I liked the sound.

Edited by ktm